This recipe could be titled: My Swan Recipe as time is limited for butternut squash. It's the perfect side for a savory meat dish.
Did you know that beets have the highest sugar content of all vegetables and are a powerhouse of nutrients that may improve your health in the following ways?
1. Lower Your Blood Pressure
2. Boost Your Stamina
3. Fight Inflammation
4. Anti-Cancer Properties
5. Rich in Valuable Nutrients and Fiber
6. Detoxification Support
Recipe adapted from roastedroot.net and serves 4-6
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 large red beets, peeled and chopped
- 3 TB. grapeseed or olive oil
- 1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 tsp.ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 TB. pure maple syrup
- 1/2 red onion, cut in chunks
- For each serving optional items:
- Zest of 1 orange
- Dried oregano or mixed fresh herbs e.g. parsley, mint, tarragon, chives
- Toasted walnuts or pistachios
- mixed greens
- optional dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Peel and chop the butternut squash and the beets into ½” cubes.
- Place them in a mixing bowl and add oil, salt, cinnamon, maple syrup and red onion chunks. Toss all the ingredients and make sure the veggies are all evenly coated.
- Lay the vegetables out on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a single layer.
- Roast vegetables for 40 minutes stirring once half-way through roasting. Cranberries can be added in the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
- Place oven on the broil setting for 3 to 5 minutes in order to crisp up the veggies.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with dried oregano or mixed herbs, orange zest, and additional salt if desired.
- Serve with toasted walnuts or pistachios with mixed greens.