Basil-pair with tomatoes, pasta sauces. peas or zucchini
Chives-Pair with potatoes or combined with tomatoes
Cilantro-Pair with any Mexican, Asian or Caribbean inspired dishes
Dill-Complements fish, green beans, carrots and cottage cheese
Mint-Add to tea, fruit salad or tabbouleh, carrots and peas
Oregano-Mix with peppers or tomatoes
Parsley-Use with potatoes, tabbouleh or egg salads
Rosemary-Pair with chicken, fish. lamb, pork, roasted potatoes. soups and stews
Thyme-Great with eggs, potatoes, poultry, summer squash and tomatoes
Lemon Herb Salmon Foil Packets
Cook's notes: Foil packets make it easy to prepare foods that cook quickly. Herbs liven up the bite sized veggies and meats or fishes.
- 1 TB. butter, softened
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1/2 tsp.salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 garlic gloves, sliced
- 4 fresh dill or parsley sprigs
- 2 TB. minced fresh basil
- 1 medium lemon
- sweet onion, slices
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium heat.
- Divide butter among four pieces of double thickness foil. Place one salmon fillet in the center of each, over the butter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper . Top with onion slices, garlic, basil, dill or parsley and lemon slices. Fold foil around fillets and seal.
- Cook 8-10 minutes or until fish just begins to flake with a fork. Optional adding in some of your favorite veggies to the foil packet.
Mediterranean Shrimp Orzo Salad
Cook's notes: A flavorful combination that makes a healthy side. Recipe adapted from Country Woman magazine April/May 2016
- 1 package (16 oz.) orzo pasta
- 3/4 lb. peeled and deveined cooked shrimp, cut into thirds
- 1 jar ( 9 0z.) marinated artichoke hearts quartered and patted dry on a paper towel
- 1 cup each chopped red and green pepper
- 3/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup pitted Greek olives
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced or 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, minced or 1 tsp. dried dill
- 3/4 cup prepared Greek vinaigrette
- optional crumbled feta cheese
- Cook orzo according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl combine orzo, shrimp, vegetables, artichokes, olives and herbs. Add vinaigrette and toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered , until serving.