Stock up on healthy ingredients so the right stuff is always available. Good snacks should come in around 200 calories each and contain:
Since it is digested slowly, a protein rich snack gives you a steady stream of energy. Aim for a minimum of 3-5 grams of protein per serving.
Fiber helps slow the release of energy you get from carbohydrates. A healthy snack should have at least 3 grams per serving. Apples have healthy doses of fiber and good carbs.
Choose recipes that include whole grains, whole oats or whole wheat flour. Fruits and vegetables also count as healthy carbs.
Some Suggested Healthy Snack Solutions
Pistachios are high in fiber, protein and antioxidants. 30 pistachios =100 calories. Most other nuts you only get half this amount for same calories.
Check for these products at Target or Walmart and in some organic sections of the grocery store.
Saffron Road products come in 6 flavors and are big on crunch, fiber and protein.
Nourish products choose among flavors, combos of granola bites. popcorn and nut mixes.
Scrambled Egg Burrito with AvocadoIngredients
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 4 flour or whole wheat tortillas
- ¼ cup salsa
- 2 avocados, sliced
- Whisk eggs with 1 tablespoon of water to make the eggs light and fluffy. Set aside.
- Drizzle olive oil into a skillet over medium heat, add peppers, garlic and onion and saute about 2-3 minutes until just tender. Whisk eggs one more time and pour into skillet with vegetables. Scramble eggs just until set.
- Divide scrambled eggs across the flour tortillas. Top with salsa and avocado slices.
- Wrap and serve warm.
Cherry Almond Smoothie
Recipe serves 3-4 each serving 98 calories with 3 g. fiber, 5.5 grams protein
- 2 cups unsweetened frozen dark cherries
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- one 6 oz. Greek plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 small banana peeled , cubed
- Combine in a blender and blend until smooth.