Blueberry Coffee Cake is a crumbly, sweet pastry. The almond extract enhances the flavor of the blueberry filling. Invite a friend or neighbor over to share this breakfast treat.
Recipe adapted from Midwest Living Brunch and Breakfast 2014
- 2 cups blueberries
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 TB. cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1-1/2 tsp. Saigon cinnamon or 2 tsp. regular cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp. Saigon cinnamon or 3/4 tsp. regular cinnamon
- 3/4 cup crushed almonds
- 2 TB.butter
- In a medium saucepan combine blueberries and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer on low covered 3 minutes. In a small cup stir cornstarch with 1/4 cup sugar and add to blueberry mixture. Cook over medium heat until thickened about 3 minutes. Add almond extract and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 8 x 8 pan. In a medium bowl stir together 1-1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender or your fingers cut in the 1/4 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make a well in center of flour mixture. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Use a whisk and mix well. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture and stir only until combined. Spread in a baking pan.
- Spread blueberry filling evenly over the batter.
- Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon and almonds together. Cut in butter using fingertips until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle evenly over blueberry filling.
- Bake for 24-30 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.