Ever Ready Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken ChiliCook's notes: I have all my bases covered with this bowl of chili! It's gluten-free and power packed with pulses, protein and flavor. I looked at many recipes started with one and went off the track with my own spin. You can control the degree of hotness by the amount of green chilies added and increasing cumin, chili powder and red pepper flakes. I started small and taste tested along the way. I used chicken tenders because they are a thinner cut of meat and would cook up better in a slow cooker. I added an extra step sauteing onions, garlic, peppers with spices as it intensifies the flavor but most recipes did not include this step and just added it to other chili ingredients. I used the high setting and stirred occasionally. After 3-1/2 hours I took out the chicken, shredded it and returned it back to pot. Then I lowered the setting to warm and cooked 20 minutes longer. Since quinoa absorbs a lot of the juice more chicken broth can be added if needed. Pair the chili with gluten-free crackers.
Even if you do not need to eat gluten-free meals it is a healthy alternative for your diet. Quinoa Chicken Chili would make a great game day dish. Trust me, the men in the crowd won't even notice how healthy the hearty dish is because it tastes so good. Recipe serves 8.
- 1 package of chicken tender (14 oz.)
- 1 TB. olive oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup diced sweet mini bell peppers (combination of red, orange and yellow)
- 1/2 tsp. each Saigon cinnamon and cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- dash or two of red pepper flakes
- 2 cups chicken broth (GF) or low sodium
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans of diced tomatoes with basil and garlic
- 1 small can green chiles, drained and patted dry on a paper towel
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 small can steam fresh mexi- corn
- 1 can black, chili or red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can northern beans or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- optional garnishes e.g. diced avocados, sour cream, grated low fat cheddar cheese, GF crackers
- Use a 5 qt. slow cooker/crock pot and lightly grease inside bottom
- Heat olive oil in fry pan, add in onions, garlic cloves, peppers and spices. Saute on a medium heat 5 minutes and proceed with recipe.
- Place chicken tenders on the bottom of slow cooker, add in sauteed mixture and rest of ingredients. Mix gently keeping chicken pieces on the bottom.
- Cook on high 3-4 hours or low 5- 6 hours.
- Add more broth as needed.