Cooking Tip:Blanch the asparagus: Bring 2 quarts of salted water to a boil (1/2 teaspoon of salt). Add the cut asparagus to the boiling water. Return to a boil and blanch the asparagus for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the asparagus to a bowl of ice water to shock the asparagus and stop the cooking. Drain and set aside.
Ham and Swiss Cheese Croissant Casserole
- 4 large croissants or 8 mini croissants, torn into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups diced cooked ham pieces
- 1-1/2 cups Swiss cheese or cheddar cheese grated or a combination of both
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup 2 % milk or 1 cup half and half
- 2 TB, honey
- 1 TB. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Optional 2 cups asparagus pieces (2 inches) blanched
- Grease a deep dish pie pan or an 8 x 8 glass pan.
- Arrange half the torn croissant pieces in baking dish, top with half ham pieces, cheese and asparagus pieces if using. Repeat with remaining croissant pieces, ham and cheese.
- In a blender mix milk or half and half, eggs, mustard, honey and spices. Mix well.
- Slowly pour egg mixture over croissant mixture. Use a sheet of wax paper to press croissant pieces into egg mixture to moisten completely. Cover with foil and refrigerate at least 8 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Bake casserole covered 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 25 minutes more or until browned and set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.