Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Friday, April 21, 2017

Celebrate Earth Day

2017 marks the 47th year of the Earth Day which is celebrated every year on April 22, to honor our planet and shed a light on environmental issues that matter. It promotes an ideal of peace and sustainability for all. The idea for it was first proposed at a Unesco conference in 1969 by activist John McConnell.It was first celebrated in 1970 and made into an international day in 1990 and is now celebrated by more 193 countries every year.

This year's campaign is dedicated to an ambitious goal – to achieve global climate and environmental literacy in the space of three years, by Earth Day 2020.
Family and School Activities: 
Ways to get involved promoting environmental awareness with teaching ideas, lesson plans, and student activities.
https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/collections/teaching-content/celebrate-earth-day/

http://www.greeneducationfoundation.org/nationalgreenweeksub/curriculum-and-activities/activities-ngw/1195-top-10-earth-day-activities.html
Learn more about Treecology and browse some Earth Day activities
https://www.jumpintoabook.com/2017/04/happy-earth-day-treecology/

50 Earth Day Activities for kids will encourage children to create objects from natural and recycled materials and spend more time outdoors.
http://tinkerlab.com/fifty-earth-day-activities/
Activities for Adults 
http://www.earthday.org/earthday/
John Muir also known as "John of the Mountains", was an American naturalist, author, environmental philosopher, glaciologist and early advocate for the preservation of wilderness in the United States. He was born April 21, 1838. 

“In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.” -- John Muir


Earth, What Will You Give Me?
by Beverly Mc Loughland

Earth, what will you give me

In summer
In summer,
Earth, what will you give me
In summer

Serene?

I’ll give you my fields
Made of lilies,
Of lilies,
I’ll give you my fields
Made of lilies
And green.

And what will you give me
In autumn

In autumn
And what will you give me
In autumn
So bold?

I’ll give you my leaves
Made of maple,
Of maple,
I’ll give you my leaves
Made of maple
And gold.

And what will you give me
In winter,
In winter,
What will you give me
In winter
So light?

I’ll give you my stars
Made of crystal,
Of crystal,
I’ll give you my stars
Made of crystal
And white.

And what will you give me
In springtime,
In springtime,
And what will you give me
In springtime
So new?

I’ll give you my nests
Made of grasses,
Of grasses,
I’ll give you my nests
Made of grasses
And blue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mexican Street Corn Salad and Glazed Lemon Blueberry Loaf

There are many reasons to celebrate spring as nature begins to put on a showy display. With May around the corner, celebrations abound with ...