“Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them,
and pretty soon you have a dozen.”
~John SteinbeckCook's notes: Now that I have your attention here's my super kid friendly, weeknight meal idea everyone is sure to love with lots of options!
Cook's notes: Packaged biscuit mix makes this egg and cheese dish come together quickly. Add salsa and sour cream to top each serving. I discovered Bisquick makes a small package and I didn't have go buy a whole box. I used only part of this package. The Bisquick comes in regular flavor and cheese and garlic.
The recipe was adapted from Midwest Living.
- 1 pound pork, Italian or turkey sausage
- 1 cup sweet onions, diced
- 1/2 cup mini yellow and red peppers, diced
- 1 cup shredded Swiss or cheddar cheese (use lite to reduce calories)
- optional 2 cups torn spinach leaves. stems removed
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp.red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 3/4 cup Bisquick mix
- In a skillet cook sausage, onions and peppers. Last 5 minutes of cooking time add in spinach leaves and cook until wilted.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spoon sausage mixture into a greased 9 inch pie pan. Sprinkle cheese over sausage mixture.
- In blender mix eggs, milk, parsley and red pepper flakes. In a bowl whisk egg mixture into Bisquick mix.
- Slowly pour milk mixture over sausage mixture and bake for 25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with salsa and sour cream.
And give us not to think so far away
As the uncertain harvest; keep us here
All simply in the springing of the year.
Oh, give us pleasure in the orchard white,
Like nothing else by day, like ghosts by night;
And make us happy in the happy bees,
The swarm dilating round the perfect trees.
And make us happy in the darting bird
That suddenly above the bees is heard,
The meteor that thrusts in with needle bill,
And off a blossom in mid air stands still.
For this is love and nothing else is love,
The which it is reserved for God above
To sanctify to what far ends He will,
But which it only needs that we fulfill.