Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

An Unexpected Discovery at the Lake

I just had a feeling something unusual was going to happen today when I looked out the window at the lake very early this morning. The combination of the mist with the rising sun and cool air spreading over the warm waters created an eerie magical scene. As the morning mist lifted and gave way to deep blue skies I was energized by the crisp cool air to take a fall photo walk. Just as I was almost ready to snap a great picture of a cluster of leaves I stumbled and almost lost my balance. I steadied myself on a nearby tree trunk. But sounds of muffled laughter low to ground caught my attention. I crouched down to the ground hoping to see something and was quite startled to come across this wee house near the base of the tree. It would have been easy to miss since it was almost hidden by all the brush. Across the door read: Fairy Cottage. With a light touch I knocked but no answer. Of course this did not surprise me, since I know fairies rarely show themselves to humans. I looked around and could see no one, but felt a strong presence. Now this was definitely a Kodak Moment discovering this wee house. So I snapped several pictures just so someone would believe my story. I took some twigs and leaves to weight down some paper that I had in my pocket to mark the place so I could find it again. I had been gone for quite awhile and needed to get back to the house because my neighbor was coming for coffee. I had told her about my recent visit to the apple orchard and a wanted to make this great recipe for apple crisp. Actually this recipe came from one of my former students, Rob Weinhandl, whose parents own a small orchard. I am posting a photo of my unexpected discovery plus one of the leaf cluster and one of a magical morning scene. I have included the recipe for you to enjoy one fall day!
Apple Crisp
Apple Mixture:
  • 6 large Haralson apples or use another tart kind chopped in chunks
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 2TB flour
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 TB. cinnamon
Topping Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of flour
  • 1 cup of brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
  • 2 cups of old fashioned oatmeal (dry)
  • 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 6 TB. melted butter
Grease 13x9 pan
Mix apple mixture and spread in pan
Mix topping mixture till crumbly and spread on top of apple mixture
Bake for one hour uncovered at 350
Serve warm with ice cream


2 comments:

  1. I, too, was a witness to the morning mist in the early sunrise yesterday! It truly was magical! Aren't we fortunate to live in a place where every day can heighten our awareness of the beauty of the earth!
    Loved the fairy house you discovered. I'm hoping you will take me there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES. APPLE CRISP. Thanks for posting the recipe. Could you do one for pumpkin bread (from real pumpking) next? Please?

    Please post those pictures of the fairy door if you can! I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete

EASTER TREATS

An Easter treat that's gluten-free, easy to prepare, and naturally sweetened. Almond Cake with Yogurt Topping and Fresh Berries Cook'...