As Long as the Moon shall Rise Reflections on the Full Moon
Eleen Moore Anderson, Editor.
The Harvest Moon
It is the harvest Moon! On gilded vanes
And roofs of villages, in woodland crests
And their aerial neighborhoods of nests
Deserted, on the curtained window-panes
Of rooms where children sleep, on country lanes
And harvest-fields, its mystic splendor rests.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The crimson Moon, uprising from the sea,
With large delight, foretells the harvest near.
English writer 1781-1814
From the poem Moonlight 1814
That there is only one
is unbelievable tonight.
This harvest moon.
Japanese Haiku writer 1718-1787
All night I could not sleep
because of the moonlight on my bed.
I kept on hearing a voice calling:
Out of nowhere, Nothing answered "yes".
from a collection of popular Chinese folk songs
What better time than a rainy day to try some comfort food
Tastes the best if made 1-2 days ahead of serving
- 2 lbs of ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups of chopped celery
- 2 Tb lemon juice
- 2 Tb. brown sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. mustard
- 2 Tb. chili powder
- 1 jar of prepared marinara sauce (1lb. 8 oz)
- 2 cans of light kidney beans drained (15.5 oz0
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes (oregano- garlic-basil)
- Brown ground beef, onion and chopped celery and drain
- In a bowl, mix lemon juice, chili powder, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, salt, vinegar, mustard, water ketchup
- In large pan with high sides add browned hamburger mixture, lemon juice chili powder mixture, 2 cans of kidney beans drained , 2 cans diced tomatoes, 1/2 jar of marinara sauce
- Simmer on low heat for an hour uncovered