Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Something to Think About

Recently I saw this quote in a magazine "Even if something is left undone, everyone must take time to sit still and watch the leaves turn." by Elizabeth Lawrence. I loved the quote but did not recognize the author's name. So I did a little sleuthing and uncovered some interesting information. Elizabeth was a pioneer in her field of horticulture. She felt passionate to write about her garden and share these insights with other gardeners. Elizabeth Lawrence has written six books. The first one was published in 1942 called A Southern Garden. I encourage you to google her name and read a bit more about her life.
The cold rainy weather with a possible frost tonight is sure to hasten the color on the trees. This quote inspired me to take my camera as I walked around the neighborhood. I am posting one of the photos I took. Perhaps this might inspire you to take a photo walk in the next few days despite the cool temperatures and note some of nature's changes.
And...after you return from your walk I'd like to suggest a cup of hot tea and a yummy cookie to warm you up.
Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
makes 12
recipe from hersheys.com/kisses/recipes/detail.asp
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter note:I used 1/2 stick butter and 1/2 stick margarine softened
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 Tb. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened Hershey Cocoa
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. expresso powder (can be found in grocery baking or coffee aisle)
  • 1 cup finely chopped nuts
  • 12 Hershey kisses unwrapped save rest for snacking
Directions:
  • Chop nuts finely in blender and set aside
  • Beat butter,egg yolks, milk, vanilla until fluffy.
  • In a separate bowl stir flour, cocoa, salt, expresso powder
  • Combine both butter mixture and dry mixture beating until blended
  • Refrigerate dough in freezer for an hour
  • Heat oven to 350
  • Lightly grease cookie sheet
  • Shape dough into 1 inch balls
  • Roll each ball into chopped nuts
  • Press thumb gently in center of each cookie
  • Bake 10-12 minutes or until set
  • Press Hershey Kiss in center of each cookie and cool







1 comment:

  1. While I'm a little ticked at the weather (I wanted to go apple picking this weekend!), I suppose it's as good a time as any to bake cookies.

    ReplyDelete

EASTER TREATS

An Easter treat that's gluten-free, easy to prepare, and naturally sweetened. Almond Cake with Yogurt Topping and Fresh Berries Cook'...