So it was the day before Christmas Eve for me and I was giving my cupboards a much needed overhaul when what to my wondering eyes should appear but this lonely can leftover from Thanksgiving.
So I sprung into action perhaps a bit like St. Nicholas and went straight to my work making Cranberry Sauced Meatballs, the perfect appetizer for a Christmas Eve buffet. And by sheer luck I even had on hand prepared meatballs in the freezer to make the job easier. Now that was a real time saver.
words in italics taken from his poem...just to give the author full credit.
I liked this recipe as a nice alternative to the grape sauced/chili sauce meatballs I have made before.
- 2 LBS. of meatballs-make your own or use prepacked ones
- 1 can ( 16 oz.) cranberry sauce
- 1 bottle (12 oz.) chili sauce
- 1/4 cup orange marmalade
- 1/4-1/2 cup water
- 2 TB. soy sauce
- 2 TB. wine vinegar
- 1 TB. lemon juice
- 1/2-1 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- In a large dutch oven over medium heat whisk all ingredients except meatballs
- Cook for 5 minutes or until ingredients are smooth
- Add meatballs and cook on low heat 30 minutes-stirring occasionally and meatballs are warm
- Another alternative is to place meatball mixture in a slow cooker/crock pot and cook on low-medium for 2 hours
- 1 oz. (1/8 cup) peach nectar
- 1/2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 oz. (1 TB.) peach schnapps
- 4 oz. (1/2 cup) sparkling wine/champagne
- 3 fresh raspberries
- Pour peach nectar, lemon juice and peach schnapps into a glass and stir
- Gently stir in sparkling wine/champagne
- Add raspberries on top