Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Thursday, September 5, 2013

School Days

Just to update you on the life of a kindergartner helper: Week one
The teacher gave me many important jobs which included 


Filling 26 bags with Fruit Loops for a math activity




Organizing 26 birthday bags
Writing the initial of each child's first name on a Styrofoam tray  








Arranging alphabet letters
One student arranged magnetic letters on a cookie sheet to spell out my name








Kindergartner helper observations: Light-up shoes are still in
as well as fancy hair dos
and they like to be silly and have fun
and they love this new book their teacher read to them.
It was a very cute story about a turtle who was searching for something red and all the animals ran after him wondering where he was going in such a hurry.
And to their surprise the red that the turtle was in a hurry to get to was a sunset.
Perhaps you have some first day of school remembrances
  • a notebook with clean white pages
  • a box of new crayons with all their tips
  • freshly sharpened pencils
  • a new folder with corners that are not bent
  • new clothes
  • lots of rules to remember
  • name tags
  • riding the school bus
  • story times, games and lots of new friends
  • school lunches
  • backpacks
  • missing mom and dad
The First Day of School

Will they let me go when I need to go to the bathroom?
And what if I get lost on my way back to class?
And what if the other kids are a hundred, a thousand, times smarter than I am?
And what if we have a spelling test, or a reading test, or an...anything test, and I'm the only person who doesn't pass?
And what if my teacher decides she doesn't like me?
And what if, all of a sudden a tooth gets loose?
And what if I can't find lunch, or I sit on my lunch, or I (oops!) drop my lunch someplace like the toilet?
Will they let me starve or will somebody lend me a sandwich?
A cookie? A cracker? An apple? Some juice?
And what if they say, "Do this," and I don't understand them?
And what if there's teams and nobody picks me to play?
And what if I took off my sneakers, and also my socks, and my jeans, and my sweatshirt and T-shirt,
And started the first day of school on the second day?

By Judith Viorst








1 comment:

  1. Oh, the memories...

    Thank you for sharing this sweet first day of school.

    ReplyDelete

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...