with a Beef Tamale Casserole.
A comfort food casserole that's a a real winner in my book. Besides being kid friendly, layers of spiced beef, enchilada and tomato sauce, cheesy goodness topped with sweet cornbread is an irresistible dish. I skipped making cornbread from scratch and went for easy using a box mix. I substituted buttermilk for the milk. If you are a family of cheese lovers reserve some of the cheese and sprinkle over the cornbread before baking. Suggested cornbreads in my order of preference Famous Daves Cornbread, Krusteaz Honey Cornbread, 2 boxes of Jiffy Cornbread.
You can vary the "hotness" of this recipe by increasing the spices or using hot enchilada sauce over mild.
- 1 box cornbread mix
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup each diced onions and mini sweet red and yellow peppers
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. each chili powder, cumin, taco seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (10 oz.) enchilada sauce mild
- 1 can (10 oz.) Rotel diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 cup frozen corn (no need to thaw)
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups shredded Mexican Cheese (pre-packaged)
- Brown ground beef with onions, peppers, garlic and spices.
- Drain and return mixture back to pan. Make sure beef is crumbled and add in enchilada sauce, diced tomatoes, corn, beans and cheese.
- Pour into greased casserole dish.
- Make cornbread according to manufacturer's directions. Place large spoonfuls of cornbread over beef mixture covering as much of baking pan as possible. It will spread during baking time.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes. Additional cheese can be sprinkled over the cornbread the last 5 minutes of baking time.