Imagine making a light, crispy homemade mini apple pie at home which is way better than the bakery! These Puff Pastry Apple Hand Pies are so delicious and so easy I can't say enough good things about the juicy cinnamony apple filling tucked into a puff pastry strip. They are a fun way to serve up individual little apple pies.
Did you know hand pies originated in the south? You can find them baked, fried or deep-fried with sweet or savory fillings. A combination of apples work well in this recipe. Some suggestions include: Granny Smith, Fuji, Braeburn, Red Delicious, Macintosh and Jonathan
The recipe makes 6 large puff pastry apple hand pies. There is the option of making 12 mini pies by making a horizontal cut in each strip. Reduce the amount of filling on each strip.
- 4 cups apples, peeled and diced (I used 1 granny smith and 2 red delicious)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons unbleached or all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 17.3 ounces puff pastry, thawed at room temperature, but chilled (1 box)
- 3-4 tablespoons all-purpose flour, for dusting the counter
- 1 egg + 1 teaspoon water, beaten together
- 3 tablespoons sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp, Saigon cinnamon
- Peel and dice the apples into small pieces, then toss them with the lemon juice. Over medium-high heat add them to a skillet, with the brown sugar, cinnamon, flour, butter, and salt. Mix to coat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook 5 minutes, or until the sauce is thick and the apples are a little soft.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Work with one sheet at time keep other one in refrig wrapped lightly in wax paper.
- Lay one sheet of parchment paper on counter and dust with flour. Place one puff pastry sheet on parchment paper. Lightly roll and cut with a pizza cutter 3 horizontal strips and separate each one about 2 inches a part.
- Use a regular tablespoon and place 2 tablespoons on half of the strip keeping filling off the edges. If your filling is a little runny, drain as much of the caramel sauce as possible before adding it to pastry strip. Fold one half of the strip to the center. Crimp edges with a fork.
- Brush pastries with the beaten egg and water, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar mixture. Use a sharp knife and make a X in center for venting.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 16-17 minutes, or until pies are puffed and golden brown.
- Cool on baking sheet, then transfer to a wire rimmed cooling rack.
- Thaw the frozen puff pastry sheets at room temperature for 40 minutes in box but keep them chilled until ready to use.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the hand pies.