This recipe is perfect for using a rotisserie chicken to save time. Any leftover soup will need refrigeration. The soup will thicken some with the orzo pasta, use chicken broth to thin out and reheat.
If possible make the soup early in the day for the flavors to meld.
Serves 6 recipe inspired by CuisineAtHome.com
- 3-4 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 1/2 package (5 0z.) baby fresh spinach
- 1-2 TB. lemon zest
- 3-4 TB. fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sweet onions, diced
- 1 cup each celery and carrots
- 2 TB. olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- dash red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. dried Italian herbs
- 2 dried bay leaves
- sprig of rosemary
- 3/4 cup dry orzo pasta
- 6 cups low sodium chicken stock or chicken broth (32 oz. box)
- Saute carrots, celery, onions and garlic in 2 TB. olive oil over medium high heat until softened about 8 minutes.
- Add in thyme, parsley flakes, pepper flakes, Italian herbs. Cook until fragrant about 1 minute.
- Add in chicken, broth, bay leaves and orzo. Cook on medium heat uncovered about 8 minutes.
- Off heat, stir in lemon zest, juice and spinach. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 1-2 minutes longer. Remove bay leaves.
- Garnish with a sprig of rosemary.
- Suggested side pairings-cornbread and fruit.