Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Saturday, August 30, 2014

The World According to Bella

Good News... Prayers Answered
Remember last winter when Mrs. S and I went to the Farmer's Market in Fernandina Beach? Here is what I wrote
Taylor's Treats. Now here was a booth that caught my attention. I wasn't greedy like the dog ahead of us. We watched him get up on its hind legs, pounce on the table trying to get treats out of the jar. The owner was struggling trying to get control of his leashed dog. I was patient waiting for my turn. I wanted Mrs. S in the worst way to buy this very same dish set up (pictured below). You could customize it with color and shapes choice. But I heard Mrs. S mumble something about $60.00 being an excessive price. So I figured I was probably not getting a new water/food dish. But Taylor was giving out free samples.

Well I think Mrs. S must have had a weak moment. Check out what she came home with yesterday for me. What a setup! A doggie's dream.  I hardly have to bend over at all for my food and water.
Good News...Prayers Answered 
I Got Mail
I couldn't believe  it when Mr. C and I got to the mailbox. Somebody read my blog last week and answered my plea for mail. This package was even better than the magazine with my picture in it from Dr. Ekholm. 
What's not to like about Chewnola Snacks. Lucky me! But now here is some...
Bad News: My annual check-up up from Dr. Ekholm showed me up 10 pounds since Florida. Guess maybe I've done too much porch sitting and sitting in my hole this summer. Running the beach must have kept me in good shape. So Mrs. S declared I need more exercise and lose weight. I thought I heard her say at least 8 pounds. I can see that Chewnola bag of treats will be limited but at least I did get one today.  
Love, Bella
We know from written history that doilies were made to protect furniture or china but here's another use for crocheted doilies.

Antimacassars were a type of covering or protection for the back of stuffed furniture as well as the arms in the 1800s. They were made specifically to keep the furniture clean. One of the main problems with keeping furniture clean in the 1800s was men’s use of Macassar which was used to groom and style hair. This solution was basically made of oils. It made sense that furniture had to be protected.
Later, these Antimacassars were known as chair sets (United States) and were promoted to not only help keep your furniture clean but as an appealing way to make your home welcoming and that using crocheted doilies was a way to encourage people to linger. Of course these doilies were also used to cover worn spots on the arms of the chair.

_________________________________________________________________
Roasted Honey-Sage Sweet Potatoes with Pears and Red Onions
Cook's notes: A colorful mixture of sweet potatoes, red onions and pears blended with sage and sweet honey in this easy-roasted side. It has hints of fall flavors and can be assembled in 15 minutes. The taste is amazing.  Suggested entree Pork Roast or Roasted Pork Tenderloin. 
Serves 4 recipe adapted from Midwest Living 
Ingredients:
  • 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2-inch thick
  • 2 medium pears, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • 1 red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
  • 3-4 teaspoons Extra light Olive Oil or Blood Orange Olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
  • 2 TB. honey
  • 1 tsp. chopped fresh sage
Directions:
  • Line a 15 x 10x 1-inch baking pan with parchment paper. Toss together sweet potatoes, pears, and red onions. Spread in an even layer. 
  • Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. 
  • Roast in a preheated oven 425 degrees 15 minutes. Stir in walnuts. Roast 5 to 10 more minutes. To serve, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with fresh sage.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mexican Street Corn Salad and Glazed Lemon Blueberry Loaf

There are many reasons to celebrate spring as nature begins to put on a showy display. With May around the corner, celebrations abound with ...