Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Nuts, Dates, Bacon and a Lemon VinaigretteCook's notes: By shredding the raw Brussels sprouts, you break down their hearty, fibrous bodies into what feels more like cabbage or lettuce. And when you combine those shredded pieces with a lemony oil dressing that soaks in and softens them just a tad, the only thing better is having them with the toasted walnuts and dates placed on top. It was so easy to put together and delicious. Another dressing option purchase a store bought Lite Greek Vinaigrette. Recipe serves four.
- 1 small package shaved Brussels sprouts, about 3/4 of the package for serving four
- 3/4 cup walnuts or almonds, toasted and chopped
- Optional 3 slices of bacon, cooked crisp and diced
- 4 Medjool dates, pitted and sliced
- 1/3 cup red onion,diced
- Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 TB. lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 TB. honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large bowl add shaved Brussels sprouts, walnuts or almonds, bacon bits, dates and red onion.
- In a blender add all dressing ingredients, taste to season and pour over salad to toss evenly to coat.
- Grate cheese on top of salad.