Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Friday, March 12, 2010

Let the Party Begin

Chapter 13:Post Maui
"Today is a Red Letter Day for me. My visit to Dr. Michael's office went well. He took off my cast and said my arm has healed nicely. But the best part was telling me I can now return to work. In spite of all the fun I have had the past few weeks, I have missed my job. Sully did well filling in for me. Except for the Will problem awhile back things went smoothly for Sully driving the bus.
I am so looking forward to the luau planned for tomorrow night. I have missed my friends. I heard all the guests coming were told to dress in tropical wear. I have posted a picture of the outfit I am wearing.
On the last day of our trip a package came to our hotel. It was a gift from Davis & Sons Associates. I really wished I had this outfit when we visited Honolulu. If you remember I was stuck wearing an I Love Maui shirt the whole time!
I saved the flowers from my lei and will make sure Roxy and Moxie get one to wear in their hair. I did love all those fruity tropical drinks with umbrellas and fresh fruit we had on the trip. My favorite was the Mai Tai which I made sure that recipe got sent for the party. I know they have already made the Hula Pie since Moxie called to tell me how yummy it looks. The rest of the luau meal they said would be a surprise. The past two weeks I sent them lots of recipes. I included some of my favorites in this blog.
I have a surprise for everyone bringing my newly adopted Holokai to the party. The luau sounds like such fun."
__________________________________________________________________
Mai Tai
First introduced to Hawaii in 1953 at The Royal Hawaiian Hotel at Waikiki Beach.
Serve with a pineapple chunk and don't forget a paper umbrella
Ingredients:
1 oz. dark rum
1 oz. amaretto liqueur (can substitute 1 oz. Malibu coconut flavor rum)
3 oz. orange juice
3 oz. pineapple juice
dash grenadine syrup
Directions:
Fill 12 0z. glass with ice
Pour in rum and amaretto
Fill rest of glass with juice and add splash of grenadine for color
Macaroni Salad
This is a staple at luaus and always served as part of a plate lunch at cafes/restaurants
Ingredients:
cooked macaroni
mayonnaise
grated carrots
Directions:
Cook macaroni till tender
Drain and add enough mayonnaise to coat macaroni
Add grated carrots salt, pepper to taste
Optional add ins...tuna/chicken, chunks cheese, eggs, onion. paprika, olives, cucumber
Grilled Chicken Kabobs
Ingredients:
3 TB. soy sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
3 TB. brown sugar
8 boneless chicken breasts cut in 2 inch chunks
2 TB. sherry
pineapple chunks
1 TB. sesame oil
3 TB. sesame seeds
1/2 tsp. ginger
chunks of green pepper
Directions:
In a shallow glass dish mix all ingredients except chicken and pineapple
Coat chicken and pineapple with marinade mixture
Refrigerate at least two hours covered and turn once or twice
Drain and thread on skewers alternately chicken, pineapple and green pepper
Grill and serve over white or jasmine rice
Hawaiian Banana/Macadamia Bread
This popular item available on the menu and in bakeries
Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 cup vegetable oil
3/4 tsp. salt
2 cups mashed bananas
1 tsp. baking soda
3 eggs beaten
2 cups white sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1 cup maraschino cherries
1- 8 0z . can crushed pineapple
Directions:
Grease 2 glass loaf pans
Mix dry ingredients first and stir in rest ingredients only until blended
Divide batter among two pans
Bake 350 about 60 minutes but check at 45 minutes
Let cool 10 minutes before removing
Macadamia Nut Crusted Mahi Mahi
Ingredients:
4 oz. crushed macadamia nuts
4 oz. papaya chunks
4 oz. bread crumbs (Panko)
4 oz. mango chunks
6- 6 oz. mahi mahi fillets
1 TB. shredded coconut
4 oz. butter
2 peppers-habanero
4 oz. pineapple chunks
salt/pepper to taste
chopped shallots
2 TB. cornstarch
4 cups chicken stock
Directions:
Preheat oven 375
In food processor pulse nuts, breadcrumbs until finely ground
Coat fish fillets on both sides
Heat butter in skillet and fry fillets on both sides until nuts are golden brown
Remove and add to baking pan
Add shallots and cook till translucent
Mix cornstarch with chicken broth
Mix in fruits and peppers,season with dash white sugar salt and pepper
Simmer sauce till thick
Drain fruits and peppers bake fillets in a greased pan with a bit of sauce on bottom about 10-15 minutes
Serve thickened fruit sauce over cooked rice with fillets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...