Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Beauty in Nature



"First thing to do every morning is read or listen to something positive. Your mind is like a garden -- whatever you plant grows. Plant good stuff."

-- Alwyn Cosgrove 


The following poem is a Navajo song called "In Beauty May I Walk" which expresses the harmony of nature.

In beauty                                                               may I walk
All day long                                                           may I walk
Through the returning seasons                                may I walk
Beautifully will I possess again                                 
Beautifully birds                                                  
Beautifully joyful birds                                         
On the trail marked with pollen                              may I walk
With grasshoppers about my feet                           may I walk
With dew about my feet                                        may I walk
With beauty                                                          may I walk
With beauty before me                                          may I walk
With beauty behind me                                         may  I walk
With beauty above me                                          may I walk
With beauty all around me                                     may I walk
In old age, wandering on a trail of beauty,
                                                     lively,               may I walk
In old age, wandering on a  trail of beauty,
                                                     living again       may I walk
It is finished in beauty
It is finished in beauty    
_________________________________________________________
The following recipes come from my friend Maureen. I was lucky to enjoy both of them at a recent dinner in her home. Each one was delicious!.
Mandarin Orange Almond Salad
Cook's notes: The two best things about this salad for me were the flavorful dressing and the extra crunch from the cherry, cranberry, pecan mixture. The dressing makes a large amount. Save the extra dressing in a jar with a screw top lid in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. 
Ingredients:
Dressing
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup minced onion
  • 1 TB. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 TB. ketchup
  • 1/4 tsp.salt
Directions:
Mix all ingredients in blender
Ingredients: how much you use depends on the size of servings you need
Salad
  • Mixed greens; such as Romaine or spinach or a combination
  • 1 can Mandarin oranges drained and dried on a paper towel
  • diced cucumber or celery
  • 1 package of Salad Pizazz Cranberry, Cherry Pecan Mix (found in produce section) or Roasted Honey Almonds

To serve add dressing on salad mixture right before serving-start out with a few tablespoons for each serving 
Spinach Chicken Lasagna Casserole
Cook's notes: To lighten the calories and sodium use lite soup mix, reduced fat sour cream and reduced fat cheddar cheese or Swiss cheese and reduced fat mayonnaise.
This recipe is by Trish Yearwood (country singer) and it was originally published in Redbook Magazine September 2008 
Use a 13 x 9 greased pan
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 to 3/4 package frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry with paper towels
  • 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken
  • 2 cups grated reduced fat cheddar cheese or reduced fat Swiss cheese
  • 1/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1 TB. cornstarch
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 TB lite soy sauce
  • 1 can lite cream mushroom soup
  • 1 cup reduced fat sour cream
  • 1 small box of white mushrooms, cleaned and diced
  • 1/3 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 6 cooked lasagna noodles
Directions:
  • Cook noodles and set aside separated on a paper towel
  • Mix all the rest of ingredients together except Parmesan cheese
  • In a greased 13 x 9 pan layer 4 cooked noodles to cover the bottom
  • Add half of the spinach, chicken, cheese mixture over the top of the noodles
  • Lay the last 4 noodles on top and then add rest of spinach, chicken cheese mixture on top of noodles
  • Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the top and cook 45-55 minutes uncovered 

  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...