Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Fire Up The Grill

The World According To Bella (At the Lake)
Weekend Play Date with Sadie
This morning there was a note beside my food dish. Apparently Mrs. S must think I need a few reminders on how to behave after last night's episode. The list went on and on with things like... 
Share everything
Play fair
Don't Take Things That Aren't Yours
Say You're Sorry When You Hurt Somebody 
Put Things Back Where You Found Them  
I heard her say that these things on the list came from some guy who wrote a bunch of lessons for people/animals on how the world would be improved if they followed the same rules as children learned in kindergarten. 
Let me just say this... how would you like to have your toys scattered all about-then get blamed for making a mess you did not make? And to add to my pain she drank all the water from my bowl.








So when we were outside I had my chance to get back. Mr. C gave Sadie and me each a raw hide bone. Sadie was tethered and I was not. She dropped her bone and I was quick. I snatched it up and ran off. I hid it behind the garage to eat later after I had mine. Sadie seemed confused and surprised. I had to listen to her whine while I munched on mine.
But soon I was "busted" and they found out.

    
They made me stay inside so I missed a campfire. I went back to my usual napping place at the foot of the stairs. I laid there wishing and thinking about the other rawhide bone that got away.  


_____________________________________
Grilled Corn on the Cob
This was a new way to cook corn on the cob for me and I thought it worked quite slick. The corn husks were placed in a sink of cold water for 30 minutes. This helps keep the corn husks moist so they don't burn on the grill. Then each cob was individually wrapped in foil and placed on grill medium high for 20 minutes. If we had planned ahead the directions had called for soaking corn husks in water one hour and then place on grill without being wrapped in foil.
The following combos of seasonings punch up the flavor of meats and seafood fast. These mixes can be used dry or combine with them with olive oil and make a paste.  Use your fingers to rub the mix into the meat to lock in the flavor. Store the seasonings in an airtight container with a screw top. Generally the shelf life of spices is 6 months. Be sure to keep spices in a cabinet away from heat and sunlight. 
These recipes come from Southern Living Ultimate Grilling and BBQ Guide
Seasoned Salt Rub
  • 1/4 cup salt 
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp. ground celery seeds
  • 1/2 tsp.garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
  • 1/4 tsp. ground sage
  • 1/4 tsp. dried dill weed
Stir all ingredients together
Southwestern Rub
  • 1 TB, salt
  • 2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 2 tsp. chili powder
  • 2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa
Stir all ingredients together
Creole Barbecue Rub
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar 
  • 3 tsp. garlic (from a jar)
  • 2 TB. Kosher salt
  • 3 TB. paprika 
  • 1 tsp.dry mustard
  • 1 tsp. creole seasoning
  • 1 tsp. chili powder
  • 1 tsp. ground red pepper
  • 1 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. pepper
  • 3/4 tsp. onion flakes
Stir all ingredients together 
Basic Barbecue Rub
  • 1 TB. chili powder
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. brown sugar
  • 1 tsp. ground pepper
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp.garlic powder
  • 1/2 ground red pepper 
Stir all ingredients together


   



No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review It's Murder, You Betcha!

  Author Jeanne Cooney has cooked up another cozy mystery for her fans with her newest book, “It's Murder You Betcha,” Book Two in the I...