But the Almanack also contained weather, poems and astronomical and astrological information that a typical almanac of the period would contain. Franklin included an occasional mathematical exercise and the Almanack from 1750 features an early example of demographics Poor Richard's Almanack is chiefly remembered for Franklin's aphorisms and proverbs, many of which live on in American English.
These proverbs appeared in the Almanack.
- There are no gains without pains.
- At the working man’s house hunger looks in but dares not enter.
- Industry pays debts while despair increases them.
- Diligence is the mother of good luck.
- Work while it is called today for you know not how much you may be hindered tomorrow.
- One today is worth two tomorrows.
- Trouble springs from idleness and grievous toil from needless ease.
- Industry gives comfort and plenty and respect.
Cook's notes: These tiny bites are made with only 3 ingredients; bugles, M and M's, almond bark. Follow this link for the tutorial
Cranberry Roll UpsCook's notes: recipe adapted from food.com
- 1 package dried sweetened cranberries
- 1 container garlic herb cheese spread
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 4 large flour tortillas, 4 large wheat flour tortillas or 4 large spinach tortillas
- Combine all ingredients except tortillas, mix well.
- Divide and spread mixture evenly among tortillas.
- Roll up tightly, wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least one hour.
- To serve cut into 12 slices.
- Option: add thin slices of ham on top of the spread before rolling.
Cook's notes: Advance planning makes assembling these appetizers go quickly. Make filling the day before. Use a pastry bag or small plastic bag for filling. Snip a corner and squeeze out filling into each tomato. Cook bacon on a jelly roll pan in oven @ 400
Recipe from food.com
- 24-30 cherry or Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked and diced
- 1/3 cup green onion
- 2 tsp. Italian Herbs
- 4 TB. Parmesan cheese
- Cut top off tomatoes and scoop out center
- Use a bag to pipe in filling
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate till serving