Scrabble was designed (or invented) by Alfred Mosher Butts, a jobless architect, during the Great Depression. For many years, it was rejected by game publishers before one of Butts' friends, James Brunot, started making several dozen copies a week. Brunot also coined the name Scrabble (the game had previously been called Lexico and Criss Cross Words).
- 1 (10 ounce) package mini twist pretzels
- 5 cups toasted oat cereal
- 5 cups crispy corn cereal squares
- 2 cups salted peanuts
- 1 (14 ounce) package candy-coated milk chocolate pieces
- 2 (11 ounce) packages white chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Line 3 baking sheets with waxed paper or parchment. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine mini pretzels, toasted oat cereal, crispy corn cereal squares, salted peanuts, and candy-coated chocolate pieces. Set aside.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat chips and oil on medium-high for 2 minutes, stirring once. Microwave on high for 10 seconds; stir until smooth. Pour over cereal mixture and mix well.
- Spread onto prepared baking sheets. Cool; break apart. Store in an airtight container.
Reindeer Chow Poem
When reindeer fly on Christmas night,
They work up quite an appetite!
But Mrs. Claus knows what to do,
To feed them when the flight is through.
She mixes up some Reindeer Chow.
A secret only she knows how.
With something salty, something sweet,
It’s Rudolph’s favorite reindeer treat.
Back in her kitchen at the Pole,
She heaps it high in every bowl
To welcome her returning crew.
So here’s a batch that’s just for you!
Copyright © 2009 by Cynthia Ewer.
All rights reserved.