Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Friday, April 6, 2012

I Brake For Flower Shows

A spur of the moment decision to abandon my cleaning/cooking projects for Sunday and see  another flower show was a good move on my part. What a nice break. Besides I still have some 48 hours to finish my tasks before the guests arrive. I have previously posted pictures from the Como Conservatory during the winter season. But the stunning display of pastel color:blues, purples, whites with pops of pink and red everywhere just took one's breath away.  However, I did manage to use some restraint in picture taking over my last flower show adventure. 





On the side bar are other spring blooms to enjoy.
Well back to the main menu a Sunday brunch with ham as the star attraction.
 This photo shows a spiral cut ham baked with the dried cherry sauce. The recipe needs to be doubled. Half goes on the ham while cooking and the rest served with the meal. The sauce can be made the day before.

Cherry Compote

Ingredients:
  • ½ cup cherry juice
  • 1/3 cup dried tart cherries
  • ¼ cup cherry preserves
  • 1 TB. sugar
  • 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
  • ½ lb. frozen dark cherries partially thawed and halved
  • pinch of salt

Directions:

  • Simmer cherry juice, dried cherries, preserves, sugar and vinegar and salt for 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half
  • Stir in dark cherries and cook 2 minutes
  • Combine  4 TB. water and 2 TB. cornstarch
  • Whisk into the cherry mixture
  • Simmer 1 minute till thickened
  • Cool and add ¼ tsp. almond extract or 2 tsp. cherry brandy


Raspberry Applesauce Salad
Double for a 13 x 9 pan

Ingredients:
  • 1 small package lemon jello
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 1 package of frozen raspberries
  • 1 cup applesauce
 Directions:
  • Dissolve jello in water
  • Stir in raspberries and then add applesauce
  • Chill, serve with whip cream
Cook's note This is an easy recipe and something for both the young and the adults. It can be made ahead. To serve cut in squares and place on half Romaine leaf.
Tomorrow will be two appetizers and a dessert to round out the Spring meal.  

Lastly, with April being National Poetry Month I would be happy to post your favorite poem. Let me know by way of the comment box at the end of the posting the poem title and where I can find it to post. If you know my email you can send the poem to me and I will post it on the blog.      


No comments:

Post a Comment

EASTER TREATS

An Easter treat that's gluten-free, easy to prepare, and naturally sweetened. Almond Cake with Yogurt Topping and Fresh Berries Cook'...