Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Saturday, June 23, 2012

The Unexpected


Imagine my surprise when I was recently in a small town up north when I saw my this  Little Free Library box.  I wrote about this unique lending library in a post January 20, 2012. Little Free Library is a non-profit project that was formed to promote literacy, foster love of reading and hopefully build a sense of community in towns and cities. For additional information go to http://www.littlefreelibrary.org/
Perhaps you might consider starting one in your area. What a great concept.




The sign Biffy Bargains caught my attention on this repurposed outhouse outside of town. I thought perhaps it might be just the place to find those candlestick holders I have been looking for my mason jar craft project. But I left empty handed.


On my way home I didn't expect to see another turtle treking across the road. This one was in no hurry despite the fact it was on a well traveled road.
 ______________________________________


Have you ever heard of Agave Nectar? Since I was out of honey I used it as a substitution for the Brie appetizer below. This nectar is also called Agave syrup and is produced in South Africa and Mexico from several species of the agave plant. It  is commonly used as a vegan alternative to honey in cooking. 1/4 cup of agave nectar is equal to 1 full cup of sugar. Some uses are a sweetener in drinks, cereal, and substitute for maple syrup. I found a blog that is exclusively devoted to recipes using agave nectar.
http://agave-recipes.blogspot.com/
Panko Breaded Brie with Honeycomb, Thyme and Toasted Almond
recipe is from The Lake Elmo Inn, Lake Elmo, MN
Ingredients:

  • Brie cheese cut in 1/2 inch squares
  • 1 large egg beaten
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup panko crumbs
  • 1/2 -1 tsp. thyme 
  • butter
  • finely chopped almonds
  • Agave nectar or honey
  • Flatbread crisps (homemade croutons for used in this photo but Town House Flatbread Crisps- garlic flavor would work just as well and would be easier. Any other crisp type of cracker or firm bruschetta can be used)

Directions:

  • Cut Brie into bite sized pieces
  • Mix panko crumbs and thyme
  • Dip each Brie piece  into flour, then into egg, then into panko bread crumbs
  • Refrigerate
  • In a saucepan melt 1 TB. butter when it starts to brown add breaded brie cheese pieces
  • Fry on one side till brown and then flip over no more than 1 minute a side

Cook's notes:If cook Brie pieces too long will fall apart. How much butter you use depends on the number of pieces you fry.
Serving On a cracker or crisp flatbread place one fried Brie cheese, top with one small squeeze of nectar or honey and sprinkle almonds on top  







   

1 comment:

  1. My hometown of Vesta in southwestern Minnesota will soon have a Little Free Library. I'm thrilled as Vesta has never had a library and bookmobile service ended a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete

EASTER TREATS

An Easter treat that's gluten-free, easy to prepare, and naturally sweetened. Almond Cake with Yogurt Topping and Fresh Berries Cook'...