by Eve Merriam
Once upon a time
I caught a little rhyme
I set it on the floor
but it ran right out the door
I chased it on my bicycle
but it melted to an icicle
I scooped it up in my hat
but it turned into a cat
I caught it by the tail
but it stretched into a whale
I followed it in a boat
but it changed into a goat
When I fed it tin and paper
it became a tall skyscraper
Then it grew into a kite
and flew far out of sight ...
Eve Merriam, “Catch a Little Rhyme” from Catch a Little Rhyme (New York: Atheneum, 1966). Copyright © 1966, 1994 by Eve Merriam. Reprinted with the permission of Marian Reiner.
Puff Pastry Ham and Cheese Squares
- 2 Puff Pastry sheets, thawed but cold
- 3/4 lb. deli ham, diced
- 1-1/2 cups, grated Cheddar Cheese, Gruyere or Swiss
- 1 egg and 1 TB.water (egg wash)
- 1-1/2 TB. sesame seed
- sprinkle of Garlic Bread Sprinkle
- 1 TB. honey
- 1 tsp. dried thyme or 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves
- 3 TB. Stone Ground Mustard
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. On a large piece of parchment paper unroll one sheet of puff pastry. Lightly roll the pastry sheet and place on a rimmed cookie sheet.
- Mix mustard dip ingredients and use a pastry brush to cover the puff pastry with mustard dip.
- Spread diced ham and grated cheese over puff pastry sheet. Leave 3/4-1 inch of space between the filling and the pastry edge along the entire perimeter.
- Mix the egg and water together with a fork to create the egg wash. Brush the inside pastry edges with egg wash.
- Place the second puff pastry on a parchment sheet. Roll gently. Flip pastry sheet over on top of ham and cheese mixture. Use a fork and crimp edges all around to seal with a fork.
- Egg wash the entire puff pastry and sprinkle with spice Garlic Bread Sprinkle and sesame seeds. Use a sharp knife cut a large t and bake 18-20 minutes.
- Use a serrated knife to cut Puff Pastry into squares.