Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Wisconsin Road trip

on a solo road trip 207 miles to meet up with some friends in the Bayfield, WI area. 
Despite multiple wrong turns, (its Mapquest's fault), road construction and long stretches of single lanes I did manage to reach my first destination Washburn still intact with time to spare before meeting my friends.
Part One Washburn
Washburn is in northern Wisconsin, on the shore of Lake Superior's Chequamegon Bay.
Initially, the city's economy was based on lumbering, with sawmills lining the busy waterfront. In 1905, the DuPont company opened an explosives plant just outside town, providing an important source of employment as timber resources were growing scarce. The closing of the DuPont plant in 1971 was a severe blow to the local economy.
Currently, the city's economy focuses on the tourist industry as it is 15 minutes away from the town of Bayfield and close to the Apostle Islands. 

It is  the home of Houghton Falls Nature Preserve, the Chequamegon National Forest and Bayview Park.
Houghton Falls was not running (no water) but the serenity of the wooded trails leading  to the scenic lake views more than made up for not seeing the falls. 

So I stood for awhile watching these brave young people enjoying several jumps off the cliff into the water. What I really wanted to do was not JUMP but get closer for a photo. So these very kind people reached up for my camera to help me as I CAREFULLY made my way down the rocks. What some people will do for a picture!! Huh?  
But it was so well worth it. The views were amazing.
Next Posting Part Two: Bayfield and Madeline Island 

1 comment:

  1. The hue of the water is what strikes me. What a lovely place. I know you're going to enjoy this time with friends. So thankful you arrived there without any difficulties.

    ReplyDelete

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...