Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Monday, April 11, 2016

A Cure for Gray Day Blues


Cook's notes: Lack of sun and another chilly day has driven me to the kitchen to whip up a few batches of cookies (for a meeting) and because I read...
The recipe source Amaretto Chunk Cookies comes from Tampa Bay Times  Dec. 4, 2014 13th Annual Christmas Cookie Baking. I was drawn to the recipe since it used some of my favorite ingredients: chocolate, coconut, Amaretto and almonds. It sure was a winner for me. And I would not reserve the cookie just for the holidays. 
Along the way I discovered an interesting chart on using sugars in cookie baking. 
Cookies in the left first row are Cranberry White Chocolate and other 3 rows to the right of them are Amaretto Chunk Cookies


Ingredients:
  • 2-1/2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda 
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 sticks of butter, softened 
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 TB. Amaretto
  • 2 tsp. almond extract
  • 2 cups chocolate chips or 1 bar bittersweet chocolate, diced
  • 1 cup coconut 
  • 1 cup sliced almonds
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix almonds and coconut,spread out on a cookie sheet. Toast until brown 3-4 minutes. Watch carefully and stir to mix a few times. Set aside to cool.
  • Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
  • In a small bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt set aside.  
  • In a large bowl cream butter and sugars. Beat in eggs, extract and Amaretto.
  • Add in flour 3 batches at a time, beating well after each addition. 
  • Stir in chocolate chips, coconut and almonds.
  • Chill dough for 45 minutes.
  • Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto parchment lined sheet.
  • Bake cookies 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. 
Recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies. 

Chocolate Chip Cookie Poem
Like a chocolate chip cookie
I can't keep my hands off you
The moment I see or smell you
I long to have you in my hands and mouth...
You're soft to the touch, and taste so sweet
easy to digest, you make me weak
I try to resist you, but know that I can't
I long to have you..My Chocolate Chip Cookie
In the palm of my hand

by Velma Veleau Ridley
Cranberry White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Cook’s notes: Coarsely chopped macadamia nuts can be added to batter. For even a more healthier ingredient option use 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour. Recipe makes 3 dozen cookies and was adapted from Cooking Light Magazine December 2006.
Ingredients:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. Saigon cinnamon
  • ½ tsp, baking soda
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup margarine, softened
  • 1-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries or cherries
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
Directions:
  • Combine flour, oats,baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a small bowl and set aside.
  • In another bowl beat brown sugar, white sugar, egg and vanilla.
  • Gradually add egg mixture to flour mixture, add in cranberries, beat on low until combined
  • Chill dough and then shape into balls ( 2 inch).
  • Place cookie balls 2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees 13-14 minutes.
  • Let sit on baking sheet 2 minutes to cool and transfer to a wire rack.


2 comments:

  1. "When in doubt, bake cookies..." Love that! We are big time cookie bakers in my house so we now have some new recipes to try. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that photo chart quite interesting.

    I love cranberry white chocolate cookies!

    ReplyDelete

EASTER TREATS

An Easter treat that's gluten-free, easy to prepare, and naturally sweetened. Almond Cake with Yogurt Topping and Fresh Berries Cook'...