We went with a southern cuisine and pimento cheese screams southern. So what is pimento anyway? We all know its red and stuffed inside olives.
Pimentos start out in life as a variety of chili pepper called “cherry peppers.” Small and red (hence the name), they are sweeter than bell peppers and very mild, with the lowest Scoville scale rating of all the chilies.The pimento’s main purpose in life appears to be as a garnish, either in the center of a green olive or mixed into cheese. Green olives fresh off the tree are very bitter in flavor, so they are traditionally cured in brine before packaging. Even then their flavor is more palatable when a touch of something else is added, and in the U.S., the most popular “something” is pimento.
Pimento cheese is a spread or relish made with cheese, mayonnaise and pimentos. It is served on bread, crackers and vegetables, or in sandwiches. Pimento cheese sandwiches are a signature item at the professional Master Golf Tournament.
First Course Appetizers
Hot Pimento Cheese Dip
All I can say is I had to use a lot of self control on this dish. I could have easily eaten half of it before the guests even arrived it was that GOOD! It's decadent and rich and totally worth the splurge. It gets my highest recommendation, a southern classic appetizer that's a keeper.
- 1- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2-1/3 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (I used a packaged mix), divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I used Miracle Whip)
- 1-4 oz. jar pimentos, drained and chopped
- 4 TB. green onion. minced
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Sriracha hot sauce (more to your liking)
- Garnish 1/3 cup toasted walnuts
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking dish with Pam or a similar product.
- With a mixer combine cream cheese, 2 cups grated cheddar and mayonnaise.
- Mix well and add in pimento, onions, parsley, pepper, paprika and hot sauce. Combine thoroughly.
- Spread evenly in baking dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle toasted walnuts over the top. and serve with crackers or small pieces of crusty bread.
Cook's Notes: Another southern classic a staple at pot lucks and tailgating parties. In many southern households china, cut glass and crystal deviled egg platters are cherished family heirlooms that are passed on from generation to generation.
A link to some previously published deviled egg recipes.
and we went with a twist Pimento Cheese Deviled Eggs
Cook's Notes: A recipe that's easy and addictive. They are bold and zesty with a rich pimento cheese recipe for the filling.
Recipe from a spicyperspective.com
- 12 hard boiled eggs
- 2 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 TB. mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 ounces shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2- 1/2 TB. pimento peppers, drained and diced
- Fresh herbs for garnish
- Peel and rinse the hard boiled eggs. Then cut them in half and remove the yolks. Place the whites on a serving tray. Place the yolks in the food processor.
- Add the cream cheese, mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, and garlic powder to the food processor. Puree until completely smooth, then add the shredded cheeses and diced pimentos. Pulse to combine, but do not puree.
- Scoop or pipe the pimento cheese filling into the center of each egg white. Then top with fresh dill sprigs or chives as a garnish. Sprinkle with pepper if desired. Wrap well and refrigerate until ready to serve.