Sweet Potato Hash could just be your new favorite autumn dish with sweet potatoes bursting with sweet maple flavoring and cinnamon paired with savory sausage, onions and peppers. Cumin and chili powder add some extra spice to your dish but can be omitted. Crack an egg on top and the dish can be a brunch or breakfast dish to be enjoyed by all.
Cook's Notes: Recipe serves 4 and is an Ever Ready Special. Variations include adding one diced apple or 3 cups torn spinach leaves. See directions below.
- 1/2 lb. Italian sausage, crumbled or breakfast Sage Sausage or Maple Sausage, crumbled
- 1 cup each diced sweet onions and mini sweet peppers, combination of yellow and red
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 3 sweet potatoes. peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 TB. olive oil and 1-1/2 TB. maple syrup
- Saigon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. each chili powder and cumin
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place diced sweet potatoes in a bowl, mix with olive oil and maple syrup to coat.
- Spread sweet potatoes evenly on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone pad. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake for 20 minutes or until potatoes are crispy and tender. If adding apples place in bowl with olive oil mixture to be roasted.
- In a large fry pan saute onions, peppers, garlic and sausage with cumin and chili powder. Push cooked mixture to the side and wipe excess grease out of pan.
- Add in cooked sweet potatoes and mix well. If using spinach add in the last few minutes of cooking time, stir until wilted. Optional adding in 4 cracked eggs. Cover to cook and serve immediately.