Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Brussels Sprouts-One of Autumn's Favorite Veggie


This is me in 2014 walking home from a neighbor who shared one of her stalks of Brussel sprouts with me. It was the day I prayed no one would pass me on the road. 

Brussels sprouts- Most people who do not like Brussels sprouts are those who are haunted by childhood memories of smelly, army green, bitter, mushy globs that had to be eaten before dessert or there was no dessert. Count me in as one. I remember how my mother would boil the vegetables until they tasted bitter, bitter and bitter with a pungent aroma that remained long after the dinner in the house. My siblings and I could entertain you with our Brussels sprouts stories. When my mother served them each of us had our own scheme to avoid eating and hiding them. Sadly, my dad always called our bluff and we were forced to consume.  Maybe it was all those multiple bathroom trips that tipped him off?? 

Fast forward to 2018-2020 

You'll find Brussels sprouts to be one of those "in" vegetables. There's an abundance of recipes showcasing Brussels sprouts served; steamed, roasted and fried. So I thought I'd put my childhood memories aside, adopt a new "can do" attitude and employ a modern cooking spirit. The two biggest challenges I faced were what method to use how to cook the vegetable and what recipe to use. After consulting several friends who love Brussels sprouts their preferred cooking method seemed to be roasting. My taste buds were won over with these sweet and savory recipes.

These recipes previously posted are some of my favorites. 

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Cinnamon Butternut Squash with Pecans and Cranberries 
https://sockfairies.blogspot.com/2019/11/roasted-brussels-sprouts-and-cinnamon.html
Orange Glazed Brussels Sprouts with Butternut Squash and Pecans 
https://sockfairies.blogspot.com/2015/10/weekend-round-up.html

But this is the one in 2020 that caught my attention for it's sweet and savory flavor combination. And we know everything tastes better with bacon.    

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Maple Balsamic Vinegar and Bacon
Cook's notes: For all the Brussels sprouts haters out there, I urge you to try this combination. Anything you found bitter or flavorless about the little cabbages will be blown out of the water by this sweet, salty, savory combination of flavors. Roasting the Brussels sprouts takes the bitter edge off of them. Balsamic and maple are a power combination of flavors that work well together in so many dishes, including this one.
Recipe adapted from seriouseats.com and reciperunner.com and serves 4. 
Ingredients:
  • 5 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, halved
  • 3 tablespoons dark balsamic vinegar, use a good quality
  • 2 tablespoons maple syrup
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 1/2 cup pecans
Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Cook bacon, crumble and set aside. 
  • In a large bowl whisk together the balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, oil, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
  • Coat the Brussels sprouts with the balsamic mixture.
  • Pour the Brussels sprouts out on the baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 30-35 minutes. Stir once during the baking time. Last 10 minutes of baking time add in cranberries and pecans. 
  • Place Brussels sprouts into a serving dish and toss them with the diced bacon.


3 comments:

  1. Like you, I've embraced Brussel Sprouts and like their roasted flavor, just not the smell and the after taste. My mom didn't make them often so at least I don't have a stash of negative childhood memories.

    I would love to have a stem of fresh Brussel sprouts like those shown in your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORE sprouts. We can't get enough of them in season. Any which way they are delicious x

    ReplyDelete

Mexican Street Corn Salad and Glazed Lemon Blueberry Loaf

There are many reasons to celebrate spring as nature begins to put on a showy display. With May around the corner, celebrations abound with ...