Create your own seafood dinner for the grill. The packets keep the veggies and shrimp tender during grilling—and cleanup is easy.
Lemon Shrimp with Corn and Zucchini
Cook's notes: Serves 4. Foil packets can be grilled or baked.
- 3 TB. olive oil
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 medium zucchini, cut in 1-2-inch chunks (about 3 C)
- 4 ears corn on the cob, cut into 1-2-inch pieces
- 1 lb uncooked shelled and deveined shrimp
- 8 lemon slices
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Tear off 4 sheets of foil, each about 14 x 18".
- In large bowl, combine oil, garlic, thyme and Old Bay seasoning. Add zucchini, corn and shrimp; toss to coat.
- On each foil sheet place 1/4 of the shrimp mixture in center. Top with lemon slices. Bring sides together and fold, leaving room for steam to circulate; seal ends.
- Place packets in a single layer on large baking sheets. Bake 15 minutes, remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before opening. Serve immediately or grill on a medium high heat 15 minutes.
Cook's notes: This amazing meal is made in individual foil packets and cooks in under 30 minutes on the grill or baked on a rimmed baking sheet. It's adapted from a recipe found on The Scrumptious Pumpkin.
- 3 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into thin slices (1/16 inch or less)
- 1 small yellow squash, cut into thin slices (1/8 inch)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tsp. olive oil
- 10-ounce package fresh baby spinach
- 6 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 tsp. Dijon mustard, divided
- 3 tsp. oregano, divided
- 3 tsp. herbes de Provence, divided
- 6 TB. white wine
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds salmon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Tear off 6 squares of heavy duty aluminum foil, each at least 16 inches long. Place equal amounts of the potatoes, squash, onions, and garlic in the center of each foil piece.Cut the fish into six individual portions and place on top of the spinach. Season the salmon by spreading each with 1 tsp. olive oil, 1/2 tsp. herbes de Provence. 1/2 tsp. oregano and 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard. Add 1 TB. white wine to each packet. Enclose packet and seal edges.
Pull up the sides of the foil to create a ’bowl’ containing the vegetables. Place the spinach on top and to each packet drizzle with lemon juice and a splash of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place on grill and cook 20 minutes on medium high heat or in oven at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Cooking time will depend on how thick the fillets are. Wait 5 minutes before opening packet.
Suggested seafood:salmon, shrimp, bass, walleye, cod
Suggested vegetables: peppers, red onion, carrots, artichoke hearts, fennel, leeks. scallions, canned chickpeas, potatoes, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, zucchini, baby greens
Assembling packets: mound vegetables in center of heavy duty foil, top with a sprig of parsley, basil, thyme, oregano or rosemary. Place seafood on top, season with salt and pepper, drizzle with olive oil. Add a splash of white wine or water. Bring the short ends of foil together and fold twice to seal. Fold in the sides to seal. leaving room for steam.
Cooking the packet: Time will vary depending on thickness of seafood. Grill medium high just until fish is cooked, about 12 minutes or in oven 400 degrees placed on a baking sheet, Bake about 12-15 minutes. Always let packets sit 5 minutes before opening.