Memorial Day Menu #1
Cook's Notes:Grilling season is here so dust off your barbecue, fire it up and get your grill on! Savor the flavors of the season with tasty grilled skewered chicken, beef or pork marinated in a Moroccan style spice blend. As a time saver use a prepared box of herb couscous or Basmati Rice. Tzatziki sauce served as a side for the kabobs, a simple fresh fruit compote drizzled with a squeeze of lime juice topped with fresh mint and Sea Salt Brownies round out this meal. Wine pairing: Chenin Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc or Red Zinfandel.
These two recipes previously posted. Moroccan Grilled Chicken Kabobs with Tzatziki Sauce http://sockfairies.blogspot.com/2015/05/fire-up-grill.html
Stir Fry Ginger Sesame Chicken with Green Beans
Cook's notes: This dish was easy to put together and perfect for a Memorial Day supper. Beef or pork can be substituted for the chicken. A fresh fruit combo pairs well with the savoriness of this dish.
Green beans or asparagus should be cooked al dente.
Recipe inspiration came from McCormick and Sons.Inc
- 1 lb. chicken fillets, beef (sirloin) or pork tenderloins cut into large chunks
- 1/3-1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 TB. Hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 2 cups green beans, ends trimmed or asparagus spears, cut
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced mushrooms
- 1 large tomato diced and patted dry on a paper towel
- 2 TM. lemon juice
- 3 TB. sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 6 orange slices
- 2 TB. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- dash red pepper flakes
- In a large bowl coat chicken pieces with flour.
- In a wok or large fry pan heat 1 TB. oil and sear each piece of chicken 3-4 minutes per side and set chicken aside.
- Add another tablespoon of oil and saute onions. Keep onions in the pan.
- To the rest of the flour in a bowl; add in orange juice, honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder, dash pepper flakes, honey, broth, lemon juice, sesame seeds and Hoisin sauce. Mix all sauce ingredients and add to large pan or wok.
- Add chicken back into pan with carrots, zucchini, green beans or asparagus, mushrooms and cook on low 20 -25 minutes uncovered, stir occasionally.
- Cover pan and let set on stove, off heat for 10 minutes more.
- Just before serving add in tomato chunks and orange slices.