Click on Pinterest symbol on right side of Ever Ready blog to access a new board created called Book Quotes. If you have your own favorite one to share please place in the comment box at end of blog and I will post it.
"There are two stories for every life; the one you live and the one others tell”
― Mitch Albom The First Phone Call from Heaven
So what if you picked up the phone and you heard the voice of a loved one who had passed away? It certainly is an interesting premise to begin a story.
The First Phone Call from Heaven tells the story of a small town, Coldwater on Lake Michigan that gets worldwide attention when its citizens start receiving phone calls from their dead family members. There were plenty of skeptics, but the ones who got the calls had no doubt that they were hearing their loved ones' voices, and when word got out, the whole world wanted to hear more. Either it was one of the greatest miracles ever or a massive hoax? Sully Harding, a grief-stricken single father, is angry and determined to find more about the reality of these phone calls.
It's no wonder slow cookers have a devoted fan base with easy recipes that produce delicious results. Red Beans and Rice is a hearty dish that can be served as a side or add meat and it becomes a main dish.
- 1 cup dry red beans
- 2-1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced celery and 1 cup diced green or yellow pepper
- 2 TB tomato paste
- 2 minced cloves
- 1/2 tsp. each thyme and oregano
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 (8.8 oz.) package cooked long grain rice
- optional 7 oz. cooked andouille sausage cut in 1/2 inch pieces
- Rinse beans with cold water and drain
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven combine beans and 6 cups of water
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 2 minutes
- Remove pan from stove, cover and let stand 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans
- In a 3-1/2-4 qt. slow cooker combine beans, sausage, broth, onions, celery, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, oregano and cayenne pepper
- Cover and cook on low 8 hours or high heat 4-5 hours
- Add cooked rice and sweet pepper into bean mixture the last 30 minutes of cooking time (make sure the heat is on high)