While Dickinson was a prolific private poet, fewer than a dozen of her nearly eighteen hundred poems were published during her lifetime. The work that was published during her lifetime was usually altered significantly by the publishers to fit the conventional poetic rules of the time. Dickinson's poems are unique for the era in which she wrote; they contain short lines, typically lack titles, and often use slant rhyme as well as unconventional capitalization and punctuation. Many of her poems deal with themes of death and immortality, two recurring topics in letters to her friends.
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!
Some Ever Ready favorites include:
Black Forest Cherry Trifle
This has been my most popular pinned recipe on Pinterest 2017
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 (3 oz) packages ramen (seasoning discarded)
- 1- 10 oz baby spinach or combination of spinach and romaine
- 1 lb fresh strawberries , hulled and sliced
- 1 cup red onion sliced into small rings
- 4 oz goat cheese , crumbled
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, Cranberry Pear Balsamic, Pomegranate-Quince Balsamic or White Raspberry Balsamic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a mason jar with a lid or blender. Shake to blend well. Taste and adjust ingredients. Chill and allow flavors to meld while preparing salad.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread almonds onto one side of a rimmed baking sheet then break ramen into small pieces onto opposite side of baking sheet. Toast in preheated oven until almonds are golden brown, about 5 - 9 minutes, tossing once halfway through (if the almonds start toasting faster then the ramen just pour the almonds into a bowl and continue to toast the ramen until its just lightly golden). Let cool.
- Mix almonds and ramen together. There will be extra to use another time when making a salad.
- In a salad bowl gently toss together spinach, strawberries, red onion slices, mixture of toasted almonds and ramen. Add goat cheese and give it another light toss. Pour dressing over top and serve immediately after adding dressing (or plate and add dressing to individual portions).