Established by former President George Bush Sr. in 1990, Native American Heritage Month, also referred to as “American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month,” was created to raise awareness and pay tribute to the rich ancestry and traditions of Native Americans by providing a platform for Native people in the United States of America to share their culture, traditions, music, crafts, dance, and ways and concepts through special events, ceremonies and festivals.
Federal Agencies are encouraged to provide educational programs for their employees regarding Native American history, rights, culture and contemporary issues, to better assist them in their jobs and for overall awareness.
This year, in recognition of Native American Heritage Month, a variety of resources, special programs, books, teacher resources and recipes that highlight Native American heritage will be posted throughout the month. I found the link below informative as The Library of Congress, National Archives and Records Administration, National Endowment for the Humanities, National Gallery of Art, National Park Service, Smithsonian Institution and United States Holocaust Memorial Museum pay tribute to the rich ancestry and traditions of Native Americans with lots of resources.
Wrap up the week with an easy and healthy salad.
- Is rich in protein, antioxidants and fiber that may lower circulating cholesterol levels.
- Is low in carbs. It is suitable for people with type 2 diabetes, as well as those who follow a low-carb diet.
- Is rich in several vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin K and folate.
- 1 bag of Chopped Asian Salad Mix (produce section)
- 1 rotisserie chicken, deboned about 2 cups
- 1 small can of chow mein noodles
- 1/4 cup shelled edamame
- 1 green onion, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup pus 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 TB sesame oil
- 1 TB. sugar
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger or 1/2 tsp. dried ginger
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
Mix vinaigrette ingredients in a blender and drizzle over tossed salad ingredients.