Cook's Notes: A healthier alternative to traditional sausage when using Aidells Chicken and Apple Sausage. They are gluten and nitrate free with no added hormones. Some delicious add ins include: butternut squash, sweet potatoes and broccoli. Serve the entree with a side of Parmesan Garlic Couscous. It's an Ever Ready Special that serves 4.
Cooking Tips: I added the broccoli in the last 5 minutes of cooking time with dried cranberries. This avoids the broccoli getting mushy being overcooked. Reserve one teaspoon of the olive oil /syrup/spices to toss with broccoli. Quartered Brussels sprouts can substitute for broccoli but will need the full cooking time with butternut squash cubes and sweet potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon each thyme, parsley, rosemary, cinnamon
- 1 package (12 oz.) chicken and apple smoked sausage such as Aidells. Each link cut into fourths
- 2 cups each broccoli florets and diced sweet potatoes
- 1 cup sweet potatoes
- 1/2 large red onion, cut into slices
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, diced or another crisp apple (could substitute Bosc pears)
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- Optional 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone pad.
- In a bowl mix sweet potatoes, butternut squash cubes, sausage links and diced apples with olive, maple syrup and spices. Reserve 1 teaspoon of liquid for broccoli.
- Spread mixture out on a baking sheet and arrange garlic and red onion chunks around the veggies.
- Roast vegetables and apples until tender 15 minutes. Add in broccoli florets and cranberries or cherries. Cook 7 minutes longer.