Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Monday, March 18, 2013

Back to Kauai's North Shore


 Just when I thought that Kauai's scenery couldn't get any better we came across these breathtaking sights in Kilauea on a return trip to the North Shore.



I was fascinated by the sea's three different shades of blue.

Our early morning destination was North Shore Christian Church in Kilauea.
Our son,who is visiting us, had met the pastor of North Shore Church that is pictured above at a recent conference. He wanted to see his church since we were in the area. So we attended a Sunday service. It is not uncommon in Hawaii for church services to be held in tents due to high building costs and obtaining necessary permits. They certainly were a welcoming community to us.
Are you familiar with name Bethany Hamilton? She is the young surfer woman who at the age of 13 lost her arm as a result of a shark attack. Her life story was the movie Soul Surfer. This is the church her family belongs to. Bethany's faith in God and determination has helped her overcame great odds. She is still a professional surfer and motivational speaker. Here is a link to her website if you'd like to know more about her.
http://bethanyhamilton.com/about/





You never know what you will see at the beach some days.






This monk seal looked dead but really was sleeping.
But when we walked back later along the beach we were surprised to find the seal turned over...just waiting for a belly rub much like Bella.
It can be hard work whacking open a coconut.




When I saw these footprints in the sand it reminded of the poem below








One night a man had a dream. 

He dreamed he was
walking along the beach with the Lord.
Scenes from his life flashed across the sky
and he noticed two sets of footprints
in the sand, one belonging to him
and the other to the Lord.

When the last scene of his life had flashed
before him, he recalled that at the lowest and
saddest times of his life there was only one
set of footprints. Dismayed, he asked,
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you'd walk with me all the way.
I don't understand why, when I needed you most,
you would leave me."

The Lord replied, "My precious child. I love you
and I would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering
when you saw only one set of footprints...
That was when I carried you." 


by Mary Stevenson

1 comment:

  1. That poem is one of my favorites, this post one of my favorites from Hawaii.

    Be glad you are still there. Blizzard in Minnesota today.

    ReplyDelete

Meatless Monday

  Asparagus -One of Spring's First  Salmon, Asparagus, and Orzo Salad with a Lemon Herb Vinaigrette Cook's Notes : A fresh, healthy,...