Today I just about had it watching those cats across the street. Taunting me and strutting themselves in their front yard. Well I finally got a lucky break. Mr. C was a bit slow and not too alert shutting the gate-here was my chance. I flew off the deck and across the street in the blink of an eye. Boy, did I scare those cats as they scurried away. I have never seen a cat move so fast. Then I spent a bit of time scouring the yard trying to find their hiding place. Meanwhile across the street Mr. C is yelling all sorts of commands which I chose to ignore. Finally when I could see I was out of luck I returned back. But now I was in the dog house for being a bad dog. I was threatened with not going on an upcoming field trip. In the end they warned me repeatedly about good behavior expectations and I was allowed in the van.
I had high hopes for this trip. I heard about 60 miles of beaches the length of the North Padre Island. I remembered all the fun I had last year running free on the Florida beaches.
I settled into my seat with a great window view of the ship channel. This was on my first ferry boat ride ever . And I didn't even have to leave the comfort of the van. After many miles of riding my excitement turned to disappointment. Signs posted everywhere meant I had to be leashed. Which meant now I could not freely sample any of seafood buffet on the beach nor chase the seagulls. What a bummer!
But check out my photo. Hey, how many dogs get their picture taken on the beach. Leash or no leash I had fun!
- 1 box of cornbread mix or Marie Callender package mix or homemade ones
- 1 cup diced ham or bacon bits
- 1 cup diced pepper Jack cheese or Swiss
- 1- 4.5 oz. can chopped green chiles
- Scrambled egg mixture: 8 eggs, ½ tsp. dry mustard or 1 TB, Dijon mustard, 1 TB. parsley flakes, ¾ cup half and half or milk 1 cup diced tomatoes that have been drained on paper towel and ½ cup diced green onion
- Make up of cornbread muffin mix according to package or box directions
- Fold in diced chiles, ham or bacon bits, cheddar or pepper Jack cheese
- Bake as directed
- While muffins baking in a blender add eggs, mustard, milk or half and half, parsley flakes, green onion
- Scramble eggs and right before done fold in tomatoes
- When muffins are done and have cooled 10-15 minutes slice each one in half and fill with egg mixture
- Top with salsa (my husband’s addition to the recipe)