Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Friday, May 11, 2012

The World According to Bella

Vacated
Well here I am back at my usual post:porch watch   
Day 7 and 8 were not lucky for me. But Day 9 was for Mr. C.  He finally declared the bunnies had been evicted.. As for me, I didn't even get another taste. But I did get several whiffs of them over at my neighbors. After a while I got tired with all that sniffing and not finding a one. So I went back to my usual post: porch watch. 
Now I suppose you are wondering how Mr. C managed to evict those bunnies. After stuffing hair down the cracks and moth balls, sprinkling pepper, using deer and rabbit repellent with no luck, he finally tried replacing the suggested coyote/fox urine with...  Voila!!! now that worked! 
As for me, I continue my watch hoping for a lucky break-an unsuspecting bunny to dash by .  
Lake Life is Good :)
Love, Bella
_______________________________
Season Opener-State Fishing
All eyes this weekend on the prize-walleye. The fishing season begins just as the walleye have finished spawning. I've read they are exhausted, hungry and fierce so maybe that will help give us a lucky break. 

This string would be the ultimate but I do have a back-up plan if I happen to reach shore without any.  In a nearby town there is store that carries a fresh frozen stock of walleye or my neighbor. He always catches an abundance and is more than willing to share with us. 
I am ready with a few recipes to try. One word on cooking/grilling walleye. They cook quickly so don't overcook! To ensure getting the most taste out of its firm and buttery white flesh 5-10 minutes total cooking time.
Walleye With Butter and Lemon
Ingredients:
  • 4 walleye fillets-rinsed and patted dry
  • salt and pepper
  • 3 TB. butter
  • 1 cup coarsely  chopped almonds
  • juice and zest of 1 lemon (1/4 cup Meyer lemon juice) or 
  •  TB. lemon juice plus 3 TB. orange juice
  • 2 TB. dried parsley flakes
  • 3 sprigs fresh rosemary

Directions:
  • Season fillets with salt and pepper
  • Add 2 TB. butter to skillet and heat till begins to sputter
  • Cook two fillets at a time skin side up first 3-4 minutes on a side and turn cook 3-4 minutes or so till fish is flaky
  • Place cooked fillets on a platter, cover with foil and repeat cooking the two other fillets
  • In skillet add 1 TB. butter and chopped almonds cook till golden brown about 30 seconds 
  • Whisk in lemon juice and zest and cook 10 seconds more
  • Spoon sauce and almonds over fillets and garnish with rosemary and parsley
Cook's note: I have not tried this recipe but sounds so easy and doable. See what you think-
recipe is from Star Tribune May 10, 2012, section T3
Walleye in Parchment with Lemon and Dill
http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/taste/recipes/150802975.html?page=1&c=y


FYI: I missed the recent Supermoon appearance since it was cloudy that night but this photo on the right is what I imagined it would have looked like

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Croissant Strata with Sausage Filling and Monterey Cheese

"That is one good thing about this world... there are always sure to be more springs." -L.M.Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea Croissant ...