Astrid & Veronika is Linda Olsson's first novel. The prose is lyrical, moves quickly with short chapters. It is the story of two women who develop an unlikely friendship set in a small Swedish village. Astrid is practically a recluse in the story who has lived almost her entire life under one roof. Veronika who has traveled the world is a writer, has rented a secluded home next door to Astrid. As their friendship deepens the women find they are each other's inspiration as their tragic secrets are shared. Their journey together leads them to emotional healing.
I felt the author did an excellent job crafting sentences that gives the reader a sense of character and setting. I enjoyed the way poetic lines were sprinkled throughout the novel at the beginning of each chapter.
If you had time to browse the board I started on Pinterest (see Sept. 5 posting) I have downloaded titles of other books I have enjoyed the past few years. You might get some good ideas.
- 2/3 cups salad oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 4 TB. molasses
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 tsp. soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 TB. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- small bowl of sugar and cinnamon combined
- Mix all ingredients. Place dough in freezer for an hour so it is well chilled.
- Roll dough into balls about 1 inch
- Keep dough refrigerated till needed for next batch
- Roll cookie balls into cinnamon sugar mixture
- Place on a ungreased cookie sheet and bake 12-15 minutes (with my oven 12 minutes worked fine)