Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Lost Forty Adventure

The Lost Forty is a Minnesota Legacy. It's located in the Chippewa National Forest. In the late 1800′s, Minnesota was one of the largest timber producing states in the country. Timber companies and developers were moving westward as they logged the northern forests of the United States. Minnesota was on their radar during this period of time.

Today, less than two percent of Minnesota’s forested land contains virgin or “old growth” timber. Fortunately, there still exists an easily accessible area in Northern Minnesota that was never touched by loggers or developers. This property is called the “Lost Forty″ and it is home to one of the last stands of virgin, “old-growth” Red and White Pine in Minnesota. Some of these trees are well over 300 hundred years old.

Yikes! Did not realize we were so far north until we stood at this vista overlooking Moose Brook. I read the sign that said: Moose Brook flows into Hudson Bay and arctic.
Despite the cloudy weather the scenery was spectacular.
I was intrigued by the artistic look on this tree bark.
Some of the trees in this forest are over 300 years old. I tried counting all the rings but finally gave up.
The woods are serene and peaceful. My walk reminded me of Henry David Thoreau's words:
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
The ride to and from Lost Forty was eye-catching. The hues of crimson, golds and yellow maples were at their peak. Lucky for me the road was not too well traveled. I was in and out of the car numerous times taking pictures. But finally my husband cut me off and said "Enough!"

Enjoy these early (official date is Saturday September 22) autumn pictures.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Cowboy Country and Cowboy Baked Beans

  Cowboy Country   Hacienda de la Canoa Tour Canoa Ranch in Green Valley, AZ was a working cattle ranch from 1820 to the 1970s. At its peak,...