I just couldn't resist trying a new recipe called Beet Pickled. It was featured in an article called Devil's Advocate, from dashrecipes.com June 2013, a supplement section in the newspaper with a new spin on deviled eggs using beets.
- 1 can (15 oz.) sliced beets
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 8 eggs hard boiled and peeled
- Hard boil eggs and refrigerate while making juice
- In a saucepan combine rest of ingredients including the sliced beets and simmer till sugar dissolved
- Let cool
- Pour mixture over peeled eggs and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight
- Drain and dry eggs, cut in half lengthwise
- Put yolks in a bowl and mash with 1/4 cup Miracle Whip, a little salt, 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard, 1/4 cup finely chopped onions
- Place yolks mixture back into eggs whites (now dyed red) and sprinkle with dried dill or minced chives
To the yolk mixture, add 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 1 TB. prepared pesto, salt and pepper
Melt 2 TB. butter in small fry pan, add in 1/3 cup Japanese bread crumbs, 1 TB. chopped fresh parsley, 2 tsp. fresh oregano and cook till crumbs are golden
Place yolk mixture back into eggs and sprinkle with panko crumbs
- pie crust to cover a 10 inch tart pan
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup fat free half and half
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 cup each white cheddar cheese and shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tsp. each herbes de Provence and parsley flakes
- 1 small package whole pecans
- 1/2 small box sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup cooked wild rice
- 1 cup deli ham, diced
- optional 1/2 cup onion, diced
- Preheat oven 425 degrees.
- Roll out pie crust on a floured wax paper surface.
- Invert dough into tart pan, press in bottom of pan and up on sides.
- With 2 pieces of foil press into pie crust (a form of blind baking) press foil into sides of tart pan and bake 10 minutes.
- Prepare filling while pie crust bakes.
- In a blender add eggs, whip cream,half and half, mustard,1 tsp. herbes de Provence and parsley flakes.
- Reduce heat to 400 degrees and remove foil from crust and bake 5 minutes longer.
- Saute mushroom in 1/2 tsp.butter.
- Sprinkle bottom of pan with diced ham, wild rice, mushrooms and 2 cups shredded cheese.
- Add strips of foil around outside of tart pan to prevent edges from over browning
- Here is the tricky part but this does work: move rack slightly out from oven enough to place tart pan on it and pour filling into a measuring glass and slowly fill the tart shell with filling
- Sprinkle pecan halves over the filling.
- Move rack back slowly to correct position and bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until center comes out clean with a knife.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.