Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Thursday, February 26, 2015

Enjoying a Poem with an Egg Salad Open Face Sandwich

I posted this Saguaro picture on February 16th. It can be found at the Ritz Carlton in Tucson. Since my last visit there I found out this interesting information. The cactus is between 250-300 years old, weighs 10 tons equivalent to the weight of 6 cars and is 60 feet high. Last summer there were 2 of these monstrous cacti beside each other. With no warning one toppled over. I am told it sounded like an explosion leaving a small crater in the ground. Now that must have been a sight to behold. The size of this cactus is impressive. 
To the Desert
by Benjamin Alire Saenz


I came to you one rainless August night.
You taught me how to live without the rain.
You are thirst and thirst is all I know.
You are sand, wind, sun, and burning sky,
The hottest blue. You blow a breeze and brand
Your breath into my mouth. You reach—then bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
You wrap your name tight around my ribs
And keep me warm. I was born for you.
Above, below, by you, by you surrounded.
I wake to you at dawn. Never break your
Knot. Reach, rise, blow, Sálvame, mi dios,
Trágame, mi tierra. Salva, traga, Break me,
I am bread. I will be the water for your thirst.

Benjamin Alire Sáenz, “To the Desert” from Dark and Perfect (El Paso: Cinco Puntos Press, 1995). Copyright © 1995 by Benjamin Alire Sáenz. Used with the permission of the author.
_____________________________________
Egg Salad Open Face Sandwich
Cook's note: Depending on the sliced bread size it can be served as a sandwich or as an appetizer. 
Ingredients:
  • egg salad made with pickle relish, Miracle Whip, mustard, dried dill and parsley flakes
  • sliced firm artisan bread 
  • olive oil
  • deli ham
  • grape tomatoes
  • romaine lettuce
Directions:
  • Make egg salad and refrigerate several hours to chill.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Cut bread and brush both sides lightly with olive oil. Toast 3 minutes per side. 
  • Cut ham pieces in long strips 2 inches wide and roll spiral fashion.
  • Assemble each toast piece in the following manner: Romaine, egg salad , spiral piece of ham and tomato. Secure with a toothpick.  

1 comment:

  1. This is much fancier than the egg salad sandwiches we had last evening.

    I cannot believe the height of that cactus. Impressive.

    ReplyDelete

Mexican Street Corn Salad and Glazed Lemon Blueberry Loaf

There are many reasons to celebrate spring as nature begins to put on a showy display. With May around the corner, celebrations abound with ...