Follow on Twitter

See on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest
Instagram Follow on Instagram

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Sesame Beef with Broccoli and The World According to Bella


Sesame Beef with Broccoli or Mongolian Beef

Today marks the beginning of the new Chinese or Lunar year. I thought I'd start the celebration with making this classic American-Chinese dish Mongolian Beef. I know it has no origins in Mongolia, but its tasty none the less. It's a dish served in a lot of American-Chinese restaurants and much better for you than takeout! Have all ingredients prepped ahead as cooking is easy and quick. It's a great family meal. The recipe serves 3-4.

Cook's notes: I used tenderloin for this recipe, but sirloin or other good quality steak would work as well. Since the meat cooks quickly, remains tender and doesn't curl, thinly slice the meat against the grain. Chili paste featured below can be found in the Asian section of the store. It adds a little kick to the sauce. Start out with 1 tsp. first before increasing to 2 teaspoons. For me 1 was perfect.
This dish is delicious served with noodles or rice. Garnish with cashew pieces and green onions.
Ingredients:
  • 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced, or 1 tsp. dried ginger
  • 2 TB. soy sauce low-sodium
  • 2 Tb. dry sherry
  • 2 TB. rice vinegar or balsamic vinegar
  • 1 TB. hoisin sauce
  • 1 -2 tsp chili garlic paste also known as sambal oelek
  • 1 TB. brown sugar
  • 1 TB.  cornstarch
  • 1 LB. sirloin or flank steak, cut in strips and then recut into 2 inch pieces
  • 2 tsp. sesame oil, divided 
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
  • 3/4 cup carrots, finely chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 cup onion, diced
  • 2 cup broccoli florets
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth 
  • 2 tsp.sesame seeds
  • 1 cup diced grape tomatoes

Directions:
  • Combine soy sauce, sherry, vinegar. hoisin, chili garlic paste, brown sugar, ginger and cornstarch in a small bowl. Set aside.
  • Add flour to a zip lock bag and dredge meat cubes in flour.
  • Heat 1 tsp. sesame oil in a large skillet with deep sides or use a wok. Add in beef cubes, cook until brown but still slightly pink. Remove and set aside.
  • Wipe skillet clean add in 1 tsp. sesame oil, saute carrots, garlic, onions and mushrooms until tender about 3-5 minutes. 
  • Add meat and sauce to the skillet with sauteed vegetables. Cook until sauce thickens, add in broccoli and chicken broth. Turn heat to low, cover and cook 5 minutes. 
  • Remove top, add in chopped tomatoes and sesame seeds, serve immediately.   
__________________________________________________________
The World According to Bella
Catching Up
When I'm not out on some field trip, going to the dog park, taking walks around the neighborhood I spend much of my time out back working on my tan and keeping track of morning doves, roadrunners and bunnies running by. It's my entertainment. I have yet to figure out how to get over the fence. I've tried several things and nothing has worked.  

Today Mr. C and Mrs. S got mail and I did not. I was so envious watching them open a whole box filled with their mail and being so happy. You'd think someone could have sent me at least one thing.  
Mrs. S tried to cheer me up. She said I could go with them tomorrow on a car trip to another town far away to visit some Minnesota friends. At least I won't be left behind like the other day. I hate missing out on fun stuff. 
Love, Bella       



No comments:

Post a Comment

Croissant Strata with Sausage Filling and Monterey Cheese

"That is one good thing about this world... there are always sure to be more springs." -L.M.Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea Croissant ...