Here in Up North country maple trees have begun to put on their autumn finery. Yikes! It does seem a bit early doesn't it?Butternut Squash Stew with Sausage, Beans and Rice is just that comfort food to usher in cooler evenings. It's hearty with a host of health benefits. Butternut squash is high in nutrients, low in calories and an excellent source of vitamin A and a rich source of antioxidants. Black beans and kidney beans are a good source of fiber and protein. Make the stew a day ahead and will taste better because all the flavors will have time to meld. Pair the meal with artisan bread and a fresh fruit compote. DEElicious!
Recipe adapted from cuisineathome.com October 2017 and serves 4-6 depending on the size of the bowl.
- 3 cups cooked and crumbled Italian sausage
- 1 cup each diced, red or green peppers and sweet onions
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups diced butternut squash
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. each chili powder, Saigon cinnamon. ground cumin and oregano
- 1 TB. olive oil
- 1 box 32 oz. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (garlic and oregano)
- 1 can red kidney beans light or dark, rinsed and drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 TB. tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 3/4 cup dry Arborio (Italian) rice or any other short grain white rice
- Optional: garnish fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper or a silicone liner.
- In a large bowl add peppers, onion, minced garlic, squash and spices.
- Toss with 1 TB olive oil and spread out evenly on baking sheet.
- Roast 15 minutes just until squash is al dente.
- In a large soup pot add roasted mixture, cooked sausage, chicken broth, rinsed beans, tomato paste and sugar. On low bring to a boil and simmer for an hour uncovered.
- Add in rice last 10 minutes of cooking time, cover and cook 10 minutes more.
- Since rice absorbs the liquid to reheat next day may need to add more chicken broth.