Caprese Lasagna Roll-UpsCook's notes: This dish has all the flavors you would find in the traditional caprese: mozzarella, fresh basil and tomatoes plus the traditional flavors of lasagna. A great way to use those ripened garden tomatoes or some picked from your local Farmer's Market.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy and makes 8 lasagna roll-ups
- 14 oz. freshly shredded, low-moisture part skim Mozzarella cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup light ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg white
- 2/3 cup freshly, finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 - 4 medium Roma tomatoes or small garden tomato variety, thinly sliced (about 1/6 inch thick slices)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 8 lasagna noodles
- 2 TB. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 (28 oz) can chunky tomatoes, garlic, basil and oregano
- 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet onions
- Optional 2 cups cooked crumbled Italian sausage
Simple Marinara Sauce:
Simple Marinara Sauce:
- Saute onions and minced garlic in olive oil.
- Add in canned tomatoes and meat if adding it; mix well.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 25 minutes; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to directions listed on package to al dente. Drain pasta (DO NOT rinse with water) and align lasagna noodles in a single layer on a large sheet of parchment or wax paper.
- For filling, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together ricotta cheese and egg white until well blended. Stir in 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Mix in 12 oz. of the Mozzarella cheese and season with black pepper to taste (I wouldn't recommend seasoning with salt just because the cheeses already have plenty of salt).
- Place 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture over each lasagna noodle and spread into an even layer, going from one end of the lasagna to the other. Align 4 thin tomato slices (drained on a paper toweled lined plate) over cheese mixture then sprinkle fresh basil over top.
- Spread about 1/4 cup pasta sauce in the bottom of a lightly greased 11 x 7 inch baking dish. Align lasagna roll ups, seam side down in dish.
- Top each roll up with about 2 TB. of the pasta sauce (covering edges of pasta so they don't dry out while baking). Sprinkle top with remaining 2 oz. shredded Mozzarella and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and snipped basil.
- Bake in preheated oven 30 minutes. Remove from oven, plate pasta and garnish with plenty of basil ribbons. Serve warm; add more Parmesan cheese if desired.