Cook's Notes: Recipe makes 14 cupcakes and adapted from tasteandtellblog.com
Cooking tip: Optional substitute 1-1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice for the allspice, nutmeg, cloves measurement.
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tsp. Saigon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups chopped tart apples (I used one large Granny Smith and 1 large Honey Crisp)
- 3 cups powered sugar
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce with sea salt (prepared jar found in ice cream section)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 TB. melted butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- Milk or half and half if needed for spreading consistency
- Finely chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Add in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add the egg and mix. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda and cloves.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture. Mix until combined. Add half of the milk, mix, then 1/2 of the remaining flour, the remaining milk and then the remaining flour, beating in-between additions. Stir in the chopped apples.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake until the center springs back when touched, about 20 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Frost with icing and sprinkle with nuts. Optional a stick inserted to resemble a candied apple.
Ghostly Hot Chocolate
and 24 other scary good Halloween drinks to serve (non-alcoholic)