Prepare the muffin batter the night before, pop in the oven the next day and serve warm. Each muffin is only 177 calories per muffin when using mozzarella cheese.
The recipe was adapted from closetcooking.com and makes 9 muffins using a regular sized muffin pan. Muffins can also be part of a brunch when served with Crunchy Cashew Brussels Sprouts Salad previously posted https://sockfairies.blogspot.com/2020/01/ring-in-new-year.html
Some extra options to add include:
1/3 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
1/4 cup diced sun dried tomatoes
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
1 tablespoon chia seeds
Neufchatel might normally be lower in fat and calories than regular cream cheese, but it can't beat cream cheese that contains one-third less fat. Four ounces of Neufchatel contain 108 calories and 10 grams of total fat, compared with low-fat cream cheese that contains 85 calories and 7 grams of total fat. Both cream cheeses can be used interchangeably in recipes.
- 1 (6.5 ounce jar) marinated artichokes, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups spinach (fresh , stems removed), coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, half and half or milk
- 2 ounce Neufchatel cheese, cubed
- 1 tsp. parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 cup mozzarella, shredded or 1 cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain artichokes and chop. Set aside on a paper lined plate.
- In a small fry pan heat olive oil. Add torn spinach leaves and garlic cloves. Saute until spinach is wilted. Add to plate with diced artichokes.
- Grate cheese.
- In a blender add eggs, liquid, Neufchatel cheese, parsley flakes, dry mustard and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Add to blender mixture the wilted spinach/garlic, chopped artichokes, Mozzarella or Pepper Jack cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Generously grease muffin pans. Pour batter almost to the top and grate Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Use a butter knife to loosen each muffin around the edges and then a fork to remove from the individual muffin wells. Serve immediately.