Check out my latest story from WWN Too Close For Comfort
and even Mrs. S got to be in the news for her recipe Minestrone Soup in the WWN
and Seasonal Plate (Pilot Independent)
Cornbread Shortcakes with Grilled Ham and Fresh Peach-Blueberry-Cantaloupe Salsahttp://www.walkermn.com/health/homelife/the-seasonal-plate/article_972062d6-2fb8-11e4-8825-0019bb2963f4.html
Compote is a bowl of glass, porcelain, or metal usually with a base and stem from which compotes, fruits, nuts, or sweets are served.
I have found many uses for this compote dish such as a trifle dessert and a variety of 7 layer salads. Mason jars work just as as well.
The past few years with people trying to eat healthier, 7 layer salads have gotten a bad rap due to the high caloric dressing on top. A recent article in Star Tribune gave the 7 layer salad a total makeover with an effort to lower the calorie content.
Consider the following recipe ideas for your next gathering.
7 Layer Fruit Salad
- 3 cups diced watermelon
- 2 cups cantaloupe
- 2 cups green grapes
- 2 cups strawberries
- 2 cups peaches
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups honey dew melon
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat or no-fat mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1½ to 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
Layered Veggie Tortellini Salad
- 1 (16 oz. ) package of cheese tortellini,cooked and drained
- 2 cup broccoli florets
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 (2.4 oz.) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 cup diced green onions
- 1 cup shredded low fat Colby Jack cheese or 2 cups cubed Mozzarella cheese
topping Parmesan Cheese-whisk to combine
- 3/4 cup reduced fat or no-fat mayonnaise or plain Greek yogurt
- 3 TB. grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 TB. lemon juice
- 2 TB low fat cream
- 1/2-1 tsp.dried thyme
Healthy 7 Layer Salad
- 1 box of Jiffy cornbread
- 2 cups of chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can of corn drained
- 1 orange bell pepper diced
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 stalks chopped green onions for garnish
- Cook the Jiffy cornbread according to box directions. Set aside and let cool. Cut cornbread in cubes. Layer the bottom of a dish (a trifle bowl is preferable) with the ed cornbread cubes or crumbs.
- Add half of the romaine lettuce on top of the cornbread for the second layer.
- Next, add half of the black beans.
- On top of the beans, add half of the corn.
- After the corn, pile on half of the bell peppers.
- Following the bell peppers, sprinkle half of the tomatoes on top.
- Toss half of the cheddar cheese on top of the tomato layer.
- Drizzle half of the dressing onto the salad.
- Repeat steps 2 through 8.
- Finally, place the green onions on top of the salad and enjoy!
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 TB. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. honey